lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
ozzyjenny
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 2 cycle need help

I bought a G1 golf cart Its starts or I think it starts but not enough power to engage clutch.I ordered a new carb and reeds .I shouldve also said its a 2 cycle.Does the carb sound like prob,This is all new for me.
ozzyjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
gatorgitter
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G1 2 cycle need help

IMO, it sounds like it's not starting. ; the starter/generator is just turning over the engine , but the engine isn't running. As to what could be the cause, who knows ; fuel, compression or spark. I would start by making sure the battery is charged, and the throttle and choke cables move OK.

whens the last time it ran ? maybe the carb is all junky ; it Is a 2 stroke

good luck,
gator.
gatorgitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
PaulL
Not Yet Wild

As gator says ... when you crank it over .. it might sound like it is running, but it might be just the starter turning over the motor.

You could remove the spark plug, leave it connected, and lay it against the exhaust pipe or some other grounding surface ... see if it is sparking.

Also disconnect the rubber fuel supply line to the carburetor ... see if a small amount of gas flows out when trying to start it.

This will help further troubleshooting.
PaulL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum ozzyjenny..................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
ozzyjenny
Not Yet Wild

I checked for the spark it was good.Fuel pump working.and cleaned carb,When I adlust fuel mix out alot it should make exhaust smell rich.But nothing,Chokes working good as far as butterfly but dont seem to help.I feel dumb i have built hotrods but dont know anything about 2 cycle.Thx for all the help i can get
Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Try putting a small amount of gas down the spark plug hole and see if it will fire.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
PaulL
Not Yet Wild

Or maybe spray some starter fluid through the back of the carb.
You said that you THINK it is starting ... did you figure out if it is just the starter turning, or is the motor actually running?
Does the exhaust pipe get warm?
Perhaps also do a compression test ... should be minimum 120, better yet if 150-175.
PaulL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulL View Post
Or maybe spray some starter fluid through the back of the carb.
You said that you THINK it is starting ... did you figure out if it is just the starter turning, or is the motor actually running?
Perhaps also do a compression test ... should be minimum 120, better yet if 150-175.
Paul...I think your compression readings are for 4 cycle engines. 2 cycle Yamaha's sould be 120 lbs new and 100 lbs minimum (except for J17 1982...should be 110 lbs new and 90 minimum) Hope this helps Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
RedNeck Rhino
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulL View Post
Or maybe spray some starter fluid through the back of the carb.You said that you THINK it is starting ... did you figure out if it is just the starter turning, or is the motor actually running?
FYI Don't spray starter fluid in a 2 stroke. It doesn't have any oil in it, and could gauld the rings. Use a gas oil mix if you're gonna pour anything in the carb or spark plug hole.
RedNeck Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #10
ozzyjenny
Not Yet Wild

Well I bought new carb,(ouch) just to chop at it one step at a time.Got nothing,The spark plug is showing gas on it now but not flooded,I check spark Its yellow not blue.Should it be this way.If it should be blue what should I replace? thx guys with your help ill get this running.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha