lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Loss of torque 87 CC???

I have basically done a frame off of my newly acquired 87 CC. In the process I replaced two solenoids, the jumper between the solenoids (Brass and wire) and some sketchy looking connections. I unhooked almost everything and took care to take pictures and diagrams. When I put it back together the top speed is fine, however the take-off and torques seem to be much less than before. Can anyone please direct me as to what may cause this or what indicators to look for? I also adjusted my brakes, however while on jack stands after I let off of the gas pedal the wheels continue to turn for a while so I don't think that is the problem. I installed a lift and bigger tires, however I switched the tires back to see if they were the cause and they aren't. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. I have put so much time and money and it doesn't perform as good as when I got it. Thanks in advance.
Hillbilly Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Loss of torque 87 CC???

With the cart on blocks, do you hear all 5 of the solenoids click as you accelerate? Can you see & hearthe wheels turn faster with each click?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

it seems like it. If one of the solenoids are are bad, would the top speed remain the same, with a loss of torque?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The solenoid closest the driver's side is the master after that the next 4 are speeds. If you are missing a low speed solenoid? I dunno, how many clicks do you hear?
Big wheels will result in a loss of torque......
Old 02-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I believe I hear 4 from star to finish of pedal motion. I expect to lose some torques however, I put the stock wheels/tires back on the rear and nothing was different. Here is something I hope is important. The batteries are Brand new and have never been charged. I drove it for about a mile or two playing around (with plenty of power) then took them out for about a week and a half. When I put back together it was lacking torque. The total pack was reading around 36Volts. It is on charge now and I am hoping it is due to low charge. How long should I charge to see if it is that? The charger's timer doesn't work, but the longest setting is 11 hours. If I left it for more than that (overnight) would it hurt anything?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You need 5 clicks anything less is not right and .....
YES YES YES!!!!!!!! CHARGE NEW BATTERIES BEFORE USING THEM. DISCHARGING NEW BATTERIES AND LEAVING THEM IN A STATE OF DISCHARGE IS THE WORST YOU CAN DO FOR THEM Let them charge for 12-16 hours. While they are charging read this thread and anything else you can get your hands on about proper break-in and care of new batteries and battery use in general. You are off to a bad start with your new batteries.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...attery+Breakin
Old 02-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

My mistake. New to golf carts. I was told the batteries were charged when I received them and I was very eager to drive the cart. I didn't drive it much, just testing it out. I haven't been able to charge the batteries since, due to the cart being disassabled. It's hard to count the exact "clicking"due to the clicking of the micro switches as well as the selonoids. I put the batteries on charge about 2 this afternoon. I will let them charge til early morning then test it out as well as the selonoids clicking.Thanks SO much for righting back so quickly. Do you believe I did any irreversable damage to the batteries?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

36v is empty for a seasoned pack and too low for a new pack. Here is a battery state of charge table to help you follow the pack and determine when to recharge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batterytable1-1.jpg (88.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

NEW BATTERY BREAK-IN PROCEDURE:
Following proper break-in procedure can increase the strength and the useful life span of your new batteries. New batteries are initially about 75% of their full strength. The following procedure will insure they reach their full potential.
The 1st 10 to 20 complete charge/discharge cycles are critical to insure they reach 100%. New batteries should be charged before use and thereafter as follows:
Plug the charger in and leave it alone until charger shuts off by itself. Then drive to discharge the batteries to 75% battery pack capacity (see chart) Plug the cart back in and repeat the charge cycle.......It is very important you let it charge until it is completely done. Repeat this for the first 10 - 20 cycles......by the 12th cycle you will notice a difference in power, speed, and run-time.........I have never had a customer say they have not noticed the increase.
Most importantly, NEVER run the battery pack down below 50% of capacity throughout their entire life. Never leave the batteries in a state of discharge for extended periods of time. Recharge the pack once a week if the cart is sitting idle or in storage. And when in doubt, recharge it.
During the break-in procedure, keep an eye on the water levels (use distilled water only) I have seen it take 12 hours or better for the 1st few Charging times. These extended charge cycles may evaporate some of the distilled water.
As the batteries break in you will notice the charge time gets shorter. Eventually going from 12 to 5-6 hours per recharge.
ONCE A MONTH:
Routine maintenance is the 2nd most important thing to insure you get the most use out of your new battery pack. It is critical that you get into a routine of spending 10 - 15 minutes a month to keep the cable connections clean and check the water levels. Proper water level is critical. Dry batteries die quickly.
Keep the Distilled Water level up to the bottom of the fill hole sleeve or a half inch above the lead plates. Do not fill to the top.
Use a hard nylon brush to remove any visible corrosion. Carefully check that all of the cable connections are tight. Loose connections cause arching which will melt the soft lead terminals. Spray-on Battery Terminal Protector is available from the auto parts store and greatly reduces corrosive build up.
I hope this helps you get the most use possible out of your battery investment.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Deluxe View Post
My mistake. New to golf carts. I was told the batteries were charged when I received them and I was very eager to drive the cart. I didn't drive it much, just testing it out. I haven't been able to charge the batteries since, due to the cart being disassabled. It's hard to count the exact "clicking"due to the clicking of the micro switches as well as the selonoids. I put the batteries on charge about 2 this afternoon. I will let them charge til early morning then test it out as well as the selonoids clicking.Thanks SO much for righting back so quickly. Do you believe I did any irreversable damage to the batteries?
I have heard this more than once. But new batteries need lots of frequent charging until they reach full potential. ...

If you are having trouble hearing a weak solenoid click put a finger or two on it and feel it click. Good luck....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car