lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #1
georgia088
Gone Wild

Default Ezgo pds 48v same speed with 22" tires as stock tires

I have a ezgo pds that I converted to 48v with 400 amp controller about two years ago. (Thanks Scotty b controller helped tremendously). I juat recently came across some 22" tires for a deal and put a 6" drop axle lift and tires on it.

However, I was sorely disappointed with the lack of speed the larger tires made. I could get about 23ish mph with stock motor and 400 amp controller. With lift and tires I may get 24. All of this is on flat ground.

Now, I am a tightwad and I didn't change solenoids to a hd solenoid 2 years ago with the controller install. I was crunched for money and figured I would burn up the old solenoid before I replaced it.... well it's been two years and I haven't burned it up yet. I'm sure this is limiting some of my performance but 5 mph? Because if I'm not mistaking mine with 22" tires should do about 29 mph right?

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
georgia088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo pds 48v same speed with 22" tires as stock tires

if they are a low pressure tire(10psi) theyb will have a high rolling resistance eating up power and torque-this might be a reason for a negligible speed gain...it is possible the solenoid can cause a loss of amps being delivered to the motor also-i think....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Battery condition can have a big effect on max rpm too, the bigger tires take more juice to turn.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Battery condition can have a big effect on max rpm too, the bigger tires take more juice to turn.
I was thinking the exact same thing.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If I deciphered your first statement correctly, you started with a 36V PDS and upgraded the battery pack to 48V along with adding a XCT48400 or DCX400PDS controller.

If so, your cart was never reaching the top speed for a 36V PDS motor fed by a 48V battery pack, prior to the lift and the 22" tall tires.

When the RPM limiting of a stock PDS controller is removed, a 36V PDS motor turning stock height tires (18"), will propel a 36V PDS cart to about 24MPH at 36V, about 28MPH at 42V and about 32MPH at 48V. At 32MPH, the motor is spinning at nearly 7500RPM, which is about 1500RPM too high for a stock 36V PDS motor.

Theoretically, if the cart had been producing near optimal performance, switching to 22" tires would have kicked the top speed upwards of 39MPH, unless the 22" tires were amp hogs.

Basically the original upgrading was never completed, so subsequent upgrades will suffer from the original oversights.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #6
georgia088
Gone Wild

The batteries are 6- Trojan 8v about 2 years old. I would say they were 80% charged when I did the gps speed test. Originally I put the controller on and had 36v pack. The speed on flat ground although I can't tell you exactly (around 22/23 mph) was not much different than when I upgraded batteries to 48v. The big difference that I noticed between 36 and 48 volts was the speed up hill. 48 volts would maintain a higher speed when traveling up a decent incline. However top speed on flat ground was within +-1 mph between 36 and 48v on this cart.

The tires I have on were used so I can't tell you a brand but they have pretty good grips on them which I'm sure eats up some speed. I was just bummed that the bigger tires didn't give me more speed. And I don't understand why...

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Looks like the speed after the controller upgrade was close to the expected top speed.
Not reaching the top MPH or two probably due to inadequate solenoid or high current cables.

What controller do you have?
What solenoid do you have?
Are you still running the original high current cables?

Going from 36V to 48V should have increased both speed and torque by a third.
Better speed going uphill indicates a torque improvement, but no significant speed increase indicates something is amiss.
If you are running an XCT controller, the max RPM limit may be set to about 6000RPM, so going to 48V wouldn't have increased the top speed very much.

If possible, post screen saves of the "Controller Settings" screen(s) from Tool Kit.

As for the tires: Going from 18" tall to 22" tall mathematically increases speed by 22% and reduces torque by 18%.
Due to the torque loss, the theoretical speed increase cannot be reached, but depending on the tire type, much of it will be.

On the other hand, I've heard of instances of taller low pressure tires with an aggressive tread pattern actually reducing the cart speed.

The max inflation pressure is embossed on the sidewall. If it is less than 10PSI, that is why there was no speed increase.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
georgia088
Gone Wild

The tires are "duro" 22x11x10. They have max psi at 15 but I did just notice that they have arrows on them as if they are one directional.... and guess how lucky I am... yep, they are all backwards everyone of them. That will probably help some...?

I still have stock cables and stock solenoid as well.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Swap the driver side tires to the passenger side and passenger side tires to the driver side and they will be rotating in the right direction.

I'm amazed that a stock 36V solenoid has been running on 48V for a couple of years, but setting that aside, it is only rated at 85A, which is marginal for a stock PDS controller and inadequate for a 400A controller.

Also, with a 400A controller, all ten high current cables ought to be 4Ga or thicker.
Do any of the cables get more than slightly warm?

Inflate the tires to at least 15PSI. Going to 20PSI for testing won't hurt them.

However, the first red flag I see waving is the little, if any, speed increase going from 36V to 48V.
Until proven otherwise, I suspect that is due to how the controller is programmed.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #10
georgia088
Gone Wild

I will increase psi and test again. I will also swap the tires to be in the correct place. The controller is a dcx which if I'm not mistaken doesn't have any settings.

I have even considered bypassing the solenoid with heavy gauge wire to test and see if that increases speed. I have never checked the wire temp, but honestly my driving is more stop and go than constant go, but when I want to go, I'd like to get the full speed.

Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO