lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
Joshsrvy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default f/r switch caught on fire

I am completely new to the cart scene. I have a 91 CC DS 36 volt v-glide (I think) that was a generous gift from the in-laws. Serial number and several post and pics I have read and viewed on this forum point me in that direction. I have also been reading several of the post on this forum to try and familiarize myself with the basics of electric carts, since the fire that almost killed us as my wife puts it.

when i got the cart my father in law also included a new factory f/r switch still in the box. he said that the one on the cart was giving him a little trouble so he bought a new one and just didn't have time to install it. now being like kids on Christmas morning we (family) wanted to play on the cart. this is where the fire happens. the positive cable got so hot "apparently" that it melted the coating and the connection point on the f/r switch. Ok, i now know that there is a little more to carts than just charge them up and go, especially on this older cart. i have also figured out that i need to upgrade this thing to a 48v and a get rid of the coils and go with a controller for the applications that we will be using it for. i have a family of 5, it will be used off road a little and numerous trips to the community pool which has several large hills in between my house and the pool.

i want to be a little patient this time and do this right. the new f/r switch is a little different than the one that's on there now. the new one has 3 micro switches and the old one only has one. im assuming that the new one is for a cart that is outfitted with a controller and that it is not interchangeable with my cart? if it is then i would like to go ahead replace all the cables (maybe 2ga) for a future 48v and controller package and install it so that we can use the cart while we set funds aside for the controller upgrades.

i have seen several recommendations for one of scotty b's controller upgrade packages including the cables and hd f/r switch and i am very interested. i guess its a call i need to make to scotty b and ask about a package that i can use with my current 36v pack and then later upgrade to 48v and not have to change out the controller and stuff. i know the current battery pack is only about 6 months old and i have read about the care and up keep of the batteries on scotty b's web site. so i will run these batteries until they need to be replaced.

the cart is already set up for off road use as far as tires and suspension go. i will eventually upgrade all of that to bring it into the current century.

any comments, suggestions or tips will be much appreciated.

thanks,
Joshsrvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: f/r switch caught on fire

I think all of scottybs kits are compatible with 36v and 48v. Any 36v alltrax controller is compatible with 48v.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car