lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Powder Coating Frame Note

I did the best thing powder coating my frame and every metal part I took off the cart. I noticed that the coating shop did a good job of protecting the threads (that's a no brainer). But, the opening that the large push pins go through (as in the back fender scuff pads) and some bolt holes, etc. were closed up just enough to not let the push pins start and you end up bending the push pins. If you decide to PC be mindful of the mm difference the openings will be. Most things have enough tolerance some don't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Powder Coat.jpg (61.6 KB, 20 views)
Checkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Powder Coating Frame Note

Good to know so if a person wanted to compensate for this coating... how much should they drill out or what size should which holes be enlarged to before coating ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Good question, Scotty. Be cause I'm an industrial coatings consultant, I say don't break the coating after painting or PC. My estimate is about 10-15 mils of coating has built up on the inside wall of the bolt holes. You see, the electrostatic process in powder coating pulls the coating around corners causing a build-up on the corners, and that's a good thing. That's what is so hard to impossible to do in conventional or airless spray application... And edges, corners, bolt holes, etc is where corrosion will start because most times you don't get a closed film in these areas. !! Unless you "Brush Coat"!!. Sorry for running on. Monday I'm going to try to grind the tips of the plastic push pins to get them started...or carful use of a rat-tail (experimental). I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

After thinking on this a bit, I think pre drilling wouldn't be an option as powder coaters aren't created equal and neither are the applicators. I think the proper fix would be determined after the powder coating is done. I know to most this issue sounds trivial. However, if you want to stop corrosion there is a right way to do it and it can be done.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
freddmc
Gone Wild

It seems to me that you can buy special "plugs" for these holes to avoid the problems you are having.
freddmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddmc View Post
It seems to me that you can buy special "plugs" for these holes to avoid the problems you are having.
Well, maybe you can. However, the idea in preventing corrosion is to coat the holes. I haven't spent much time with the plugs yet. I just discovered this Friday. I'm confident I will fine a way to get them installed without damaging the coating.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO