lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Custom Rear Seat Build

Hey All...Thought I would post this up as some where curious on how to fasten vinyl without having to crease or fold the corners. Keep in mind this is a small kids seat designed to be removable, for my rear golf bag well. Therefore it is pretty small, and has fairly sharp corners with not much radius at all (10.5"x11.75"). A better fit can/should be obtained with a full size seat. Regardless, the theory can/has be applied to most everything (motorcycle seats, ATV seats, poker tables).

First off.... Don't cheat yourself by purchasing cheap vinyl to save a buck. You will require a marine grade vinyl ($10/yd)that has some stretch to it, and not the stiff thin crap you get at Walmart ($7/yd). Also, if you don't own an electric staple gun..... Then get one! Best $15.00 you will ever spend!

Anyway, here is what I've done, and I'll try to explain the steps best I can. If you have any question, feel free to ask. Or if you would like to add to the thread, feel free as well.

First I obtained a simple pattern with some used cardboard. Measure twice..Cut once

Then transfered to plywood, and cut with Jig Saw

Bent and drilled brackets

Drilled and installed Nut-Serts. (Also used for arm rests on front seats)

Found me some Curb Side Foam (This idea originated from this form) Two cushions could also be glued together with 3M adhiesive to obtain a large enough piece for full size seats as well

Marked out foam, and cut with a large serated knife.

Used angle grinder to bevel the plywood edges, top, and bottom. As well, I find an angle grinder to work well for shaping, and rounding the foam. A less abrassive, or well worn soft disc works best for this, as not to grab and rip the foam. Nice easy, fast, light, smooth strokes.

Everything laid out and ready to fasten

Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2010, 01:16 AM   #2
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Custom Rear Seat Build

Securing the vinyl, I like to start by applying a little down pressure to compress the foam some, while pulling the vinyl and securing it in the center. Then flipping it over and checking that all is nice and snug. From here I add two more staples on each side at the mid way point(from center to end).

I then repeat this step, as I stretch the vinyl the opposite direction. Securing the vinyl again in the center while applying down pressure and pulling the vinyl. Always flipping over to assure a nice fit.

From there, I proceed to stretch the corners. Again while putting slight down pressure, and securing.

By now, you have probably noticed that I like to always stretch and secure from the mid point (between staple). This is the important step to assure that everything is evenly pulled to obtain a nice uniform fit. As well as to work the creases out. When stretching the vinyl, you want to assure that the slack/crease folds are evenly dispersed on either side before stapling. Your basically manipulating the vinyl so that the excess material is divided in half each time. As you do this, you are basically making these excessive material pockets smaller each time (IE> a 2"fold becomes (2)1" folds, 1"folds become 1/2" folds, 1/2"folds become1/4" folds...etc...etc.) You are basically working it down to nothing. However, you can, and will get off track very easily if your not paying attention to the overall picture. I like to work the corners a bit first, then the ends, then the sides. Never really finishing a certain area, and basically working in a circle/star pattern to obtain a nice even finished product. As well, when you get down to the stubborn little creases at the end, it is helpful to dig in with your fingertips, to stretch them out. Another little trick I find useful, at the finishing stages, is to use slight pressure with the staple gun and basically drag the material back to pull the fine wrinkles out. Being careful not to rip the vinyl. Through out the process, you may also find it necessary/beneficial to pull a few of your original staples in order to obtain uniform fit.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Here I am working the corners, and consistently checking the back side.

Here you can see an almost finished corner. This is generally where i start working the wrinkles out with my finger tips, and pulling the vinyl back with the staple gun. Don't be shy with the staples

Assuring vinyl is secure all the way around. Basically end-end with staples, and sometimes two rows.

Be sure to trim excessive vinyl off.

Sorry I never got many pictures of the stapling process, but once you get stared, it's hard to set the stapler down to take pics.

Here are a couple shots of the completed parts.

And mounted on the brackets.

A couple pics of it sitting on the cart. You will have to envision a receiver with drop hitch, and full length step attached. I've got the receiver built, just not installed. I'll be sure to post pics. of the finished product.

So, there it is, my mini-rear seat for the kids.

Hope this comes to a bit of a help for those of you that requested a write up.

Cheesy!

(Next Write Up> Custom Floor Shifter)

**Update> I never did end up finishing the rear step, and therefore never used it, and just purchased a flip seat. Therefore this is mainly my upholstering process, or future deign ideas**
Old 02-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
rib33024

Nice cool seat--
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Very nice tutorial on the vinyl upholstry And Excellent usage of the curbside foam recycling Once you check the price of foam you will begin to see hundreds of dollars of foam going to the dump everyday
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Awesome! I never thought about using an angle grinder with flap wheel to round the edges of the foam.
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
pocket aces
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks very much for the write. I will be refering to it when I do mine. You are not kidding about the good seat foam very expensive. I like the idea of using/finding old chair and sofa foam.
pocket aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Cartz View Post
Awesome! I never thought about using an angle grinder with flap wheel to round the edges of the foam.
Yes, works very well, and makes quick work of it. Just be sure it's well used, or it will tend to grab the foam, and dig in. I learnt this doing a motorcycle seat. I simply cut a piece of foam to fit the hole, and used 3M fabric adhiesive to glue it in, and re-shape.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
ZZTOP
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nice built pics came out sweet--
ZZTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
ZZTOP
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'am going to have to make me one for my 96 go, thanks
ZZTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center