lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2022, 07:48 AM   #81
KOZ45
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Planning Engine Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZ45 View Post
Vanguard 18HP
-2.76" stroke
-3600 max rpm
-26.26 TQ @ 2300 rpm
-570cc

Vanguard 16HP
-2.60" stroke
-360p max rpm
-22.50 TQ @ 2600 rpm
-479cc

Kohler 18HP
-2.60" stroke
-3600 max rpm
-29.9 TQ @ 2800 rpm
-624cc

Predator 15.8HP
-3.60" stroke
-24.50 TQ @ 2800 rpm
-459cc
DuroMax 18HP
-2.60" stroke
-3600 max rpm
-26.26 TQ
-440cc

The DuroMax is around $450 shipped but the cc size seems small and it looks like a single cylinder?
KOZ45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2022, 05:22 PM   #82
KOZ45
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Has anyone simply just removed the stock engine and built a custom engine cradle off the stock engine mounting system?
Old 09-04-2022, 11:13 PM   #83
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Has anyone simply just removed the stock engine and built a custom engine cradle off the stock engine mounting system?
Yes. (see post #15)

What do you want to know? Is it possible, yes. Is it easy, no. You absolutely need to know how to cut and weld steel at a minimum. If you've never done that, expect some issues and difficulty. If you have fab skills then it shouldn't be too difficult.

On an Ezgo the engine is part of the cradle, meaning, the engine connects to sub frame sections that are all connected to the transaxle. Very similar to some motorcycles and tractors, the engine is part of the frame. So basically, if you remove the engine, you remove the structure. You have to rebuild that structure. The geometry of the original structure is not ideal for a larger engine, therefore, you typically have to build a whole new frame section between the tranaxle and front pivot point. This is why the Ezgo kits are an entire swing arm assembly for the engine to mount to.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:31 AM   #84
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yes, I have done it using a 1/2" steel plate and the skid plate in the past and installed a 620cc Kawasaki V twin. I had issues with clearance, tried a drop bracket at the front iso mount! that solved that issue, but bolts coming loose and high vibration levels made me fabricate a frame similar to those kits you looked at. I never looked back. ( this was before kits and frames were on the market and the cart is still working now )

I am going to be honest and blunt here! You have been considering an engine swap for almost a year! You should by now have an idea of what you want to end up with, That year would have been the ideal time to put money into savings and given you a head start on your conversion.

I have a feeling that fabrication is not your thing, so just bite the bullet, purchase a bolt in kit that comes with instructions and go for a small V Twin engine. Then you will have a complete OEM working drive train that people are crying out for. A working MCI engine with all the ignition and starter components will get you a premium price easily. Possibly even enough to cover the cost of the conversion. The cylinder head alone would fetch good money!

Pull up your pants and shout " enough dithering, I am gonna do this right now "

I may get shot for saying that but Hey! Just do it.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:48 AM   #85
KOZ45
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm also in no rush and not wanting to waste money if I don't have to

I'm confident that I can build something to connect to the factory two-piece cradle

Research is key to me
Old 09-05-2022, 10:24 AM   #86
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

For that cart, with 2 riders, a 16hp Vanguard with Cheetah cam and rev kit and stock carb will be plenty of power and rpm for most types of riding. It will be smooth, lots of torque off idle, easy to install (smaller size vs. 23hp and 670), and super reliable.

Where you will get into issues is if you plan to pull long steep hills with more than 2 riders. One of the issues I had was belt slippage on steep inclines. A better belt and less deflection cured that issue. Once I went to a larger 23hp Vanguard it would power past the belt and smoke it on the same steep hills. The 23 just has massive torque and the 780 clutch, stock secondary, and smaller belt (1 3/16") were no match for that torque. The remedy would be an upgraded primary and secondary clutch setup up for a wider more HD belt from a side by side. I never made it that far, I just avoided the steep hills.

On flat pavement.....the built 16hp was faster than the stock 23hp engine. It revved quicker and got up to speed quicker. I never timed it, but believe me, everyone who rode it could tell. How much faster? Probably not a huge margin to be honest. So if you are wanting "BIG" power, always go with the larger engine. Keep it stock for a while, then modify it as time and funds allow.

With all that said, I really liked the 670. It felt more powerful than the 23 Vanguard. Not sure how, but it did. I liked the power delivery and the sound with the stock muffler it came with. Very good engine. Would do that again if the cart had the space.

So your engine dillema is this. Money and space. If you have the space to fit a larger discplacement engine, and you have the cash to spend....get the larger engine for sure.

As far as the cradle, if you have the skills, do it. It's not rocket science. I would offer this advice. Build it so it can be removed easily. Don't modify any of the original engine mount parts in case you ever want to put it back to stock. Build it with slots in the mount so you can move the engine forward and backward to adjust tension on the belt and to make belt changes easier. And finally, use good metal, don't use scrap steel. Buy standard mild steel angle and tubing. Use a good mig welder. Tack it together then unbolt it and remove it to do all the final welding on a table.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:58 PM   #87
KOZ45
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I found this thread, looks like a very simple design using the rear axle engine mount

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=52844

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...t=51962&page=2
Old 09-22-2022, 11:21 PM   #88
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If it were me, I'd use some 1" square tubing and build a subframe, use the plate on top. Much stronger.
Old 09-23-2022, 02:03 PM   #89
KOZ45
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Going to look at an 18hp Vanguard this weekend

2019 model for 500

I know I want a spin on oil filter with a pressurized oil system, and not a splash style
Old 09-23-2022, 03:43 PM   #90
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Going to look at an 18hp Vanguard this weekend

2019 model for 500

I know I want a spin on oil filter with a pressurized oil system, and not a splash style
Make sure it's a 1" straight shaft, not tapered.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!