lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #1
yamahag9er
Fry's Golf Carts

Club Car

Default What did I do wrong now???????

Ok battery gurus give me your opinion. I had the dreaded 4 - 12 volt batteries in my 2004 Precedent. They were 2017 T-1275’s and one of them was already on it’s way out. I figured screw it i’m going to change things up a bit so I went and dropped pretty good money on a set of 8 T-145’s. I modified the battery tub to fit 6 under the seat and two in the bag well. My goal was the most run time I could get without going Li-Ion. Yes I know I should have just done that. Got all the batteries wired and everything was good to go. Wired with 4 gauge wires and I have a plum quick motor. The controller is stock except it has the #4 speed setting and the solenoid is stock. With the 4 - 12’s it would run 26 mph pretty consistently on flat ground with decent acceleration. Know it has slower acceleration and struggles to run 22 mph. I can’t even hit 26 mph going down a hill now. No I was not expecting this to be a rocket ship now because I know it is still a 48 volt system but I didn’t really expect those results. I was hoping to maintain what I had and gain some range. I don’t use the OBC any longer because I have a “smart” charger. I know I am carrying some extra battery weight but would that really slow me down that much? Any one have any thoughts?
yamahag9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: What did I do wrong now???????

Check voltage at controller while driving. Perhaps a battery is hooked up wrong...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
yamahag9er
Fry's Golf Carts

Club Car

I have 50 + volts at the main + and - of the battery pack. That’s the first thing I checked.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #4
yamahag9er
Fry's Golf Carts

Club Car

I guess I didn’t check it while I was driving though.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've heard people say that it takes quite a few charge cycles to get the batteries broken in. If I remember correctly it might take up to a month before they reach full capacity.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #6
yamahag9er
Fry's Golf Carts

Club Car

I have heard that as well. I have heard anywhere from 15 to 25 cycles before they reach 100 percent. I also know you are not supposed to run them below 50 %. I guess there is a chance they will get better with age.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #7
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

..deleted..

Sorry, when I checked my facts, the comment I made was wrong.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:59 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

That % we speak of is more for duration as the plates season. The batteries will get stronger in regards to capacity (Ah range), but in regards to speed, it will not change much as that is relative to voltage and as long as you are fully charged, you have that. One big point here will be the added weight... You have a substantial increase with 8x6 as compared to 4x12....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #9
yamahag9er
Fry's Golf Carts

Club Car

After doing a little math it looks like the cart gained about 236 lbs so that doesn’t help.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I wouldn't think and extra 240lbs would make it unable to still reach the same top speed as before. Are you sure you don't have a bad battery cable? Do any of them get hot after running for a while?
Voltage testing the pack under load would tell you if there is a major drop. Capacity and voltage kinda go together. If the capacity is low the voltage will drop more when under a load. It's possible that as the batteries get a few cycles and their capacity increases the voltage under load will also increase.

What controller do you have? Any chance some settings there got reset while the batteries ere out?

What charger do you have? The 6V batteries have about twice the AH capacity as the 12v pack did, and to charge them properly you may need a charger with a higher current output, like a 1050W Lester Summit II.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car