lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
bthomas
Not Yet Wild

Default My New EZGO Shuttle

Here is a long story short. I had an ATV that I wanted to sell to buy a golf cart. There was very little interest in it until a great guy offered me a trade. It was not the model that I wanted, but I took that trade and TRADED it for the cart that I initially couldn't afford plus some additional items. First, I traded my 2001 Honda Rancher for 2003 Ezgo 1200 w/ 11hp Robins. I had the 1200 in my possession long enough to get to my next trade (2hrs). I traded the 1200 for a 2005 Ezgo Shuttle 2+2 TXT, Allsports 4" drop axle lift, 12" ITP rims and All Trail tires. I got the lift installed tonight and just finished bolting on the tires.

Here is a question. This cart has a factory 600amp controller and a high speed motor. The top end is very good, but on my test drive up a big hill, it REALLY slowed down. I know that the big tires are the problem, but I figured that the controler would help this problem. There is not a chance in the world that I will leave it as is. I have heard that you can have a motor rewound with more torque and a minimal loss of top end. Is that true and can i do it a reasonable price? Also, I don't think I should send in this high speed motor as core when it is perfect. Anyone have a "dead" series motor?

Last thing, this trade cost me ZERO out of pocket (well, at least yet!)

Thanks and here are some pics from the trades.

Britt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020363.jpg (75.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00307[1].jpg (95.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg P1020370.jpg (56.4 KB, 31 views)
bthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: My New EZGO Shuttle

Yes, you can have the motor rewound. EMP offers a 2 speed option. Actually its 2 MODEs. 1 mode is torwue and the other is Speed. That way you'll have your cake and eat it too.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: My New EZGO Shuttle

Howdy Britt... Nice cart. Roady is spot on with this one.
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
bioniccartsandcustoms
Runnin' with Scissors

Club Car

If your cart has the factory controller then it may not be programmable. If not, you could put a programmable 600-650 and set the ramp up and change the throttle map and gain a ton of low end torque but keep the top end. Also, how old are the batteries and do you have a way to check the voltage of the pack while driving? Like a volt meter and alligator clips to the main pos. and neg.? You may have a battery issue that doesn't really show until its under a load. Just a thought.
bioniccartsandcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
bthomas
Not Yet Wild

Well here comes my first expense on the cart. I found out that I have a 400 amp controller to go with the high speed motor. I spoke with Plum Quick and EMP about their motors and decided to go with PQ. I ordered a High Torque, which I think will address all of my issues (until I find something else). I will update after I install it next week.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: My New EZGO Shuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
Well here comes my first expense on the cart. I found out that I have a 400 amp controller to go with the high speed motor. I spoke with Plum Quick and EMP about their motors and decided to go with PQ. I ordered a High Torque, which I think will address all of my issues (until I find something else). I will update after I install it next week.
Can we see pics of the install?
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
TDOG
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
Here is a long story short. I had an ATV that I wanted to sell to buy a golf cart. There was very little interest in it until a great guy offered me a trade. It was not the model that I wanted, but I took that trade and TRADED it for the cart that I initially couldn't afford plus some additional items. First, I traded my 2001 Honda Rancher for 2003 Ezgo 1200 w/ 11hp Robins. I had the 1200 in my possession long enough to get to my next trade (2hrs). I traded the 1200 for a 2005 Ezgo Shuttle 2+2 TXT, Allsports 4" drop axle lift, 12" ITP rims and All Trail tires. I got the lift installed tonight and just finished bolting on the tires.

Here is a question. This cart has a factory 600amp controller and a high speed motor. The top end is very good, but on my test drive up a big hill, it REALLY slowed down. I know that the big tires are the problem, but I figured that the controler would help this problem. There is not a chance in the world that I will leave it as is. I have heard that you can have a motor rewound with more torque and a minimal loss of top end. Is that true and can i do it a reasonable price? Also, I don't think I should send in this high speed motor as core when it is perfect. Anyone have a "dead" series motor?

Last thing, this trade cost me ZERO out of pocket (well, at least yet!)

Thanks and here are some pics from the trades.

Britt
FYI, to my knowledge E-Z-GO has never offered a 600amp controller as a OEM option. They have offered a high speed series motor on select models.
TDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
bthomas
Not Yet Wild

TDOG,
You are correct. My Shuttle came with a high speed motor, 400 amp controller and 4 ga wiring. Driving home today was pathetic b/c I was thinking about what I can do next. Bigger controller?...48V??...lots of thoughts through my mind.

The motor should arrive Tuesday, so I hope to get pics posted that night.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
bthomas
Not Yet Wild

I installed my new Plum Quick High Torque and a 4 gauge wiring set. Install was very easy. Before the upgrade, my flat speed was around 20 mph and steep hills clocked at 10mph. After upgrade, my speed increased to 22-24 and 12 mph on hills. I took the cart offraod and I was happy with its performance, but on hilly roads around here, I would like to see better performance. I will contact PQ this week to discuss it, but I thought I would seek some feedback here first. Here are my specs and a few pics.
2005 Ezgo Shuttle 2+2, TXT Series 36V
December 05 batteries
PQ High Torque Motor, 4 gauge wiring
400A Curtis controller(factory)
4" Allsports drop axle lift
23x10x12 Alltrail tires

I planned on waiting to do a 48V upgrade, but I might speed up the plans to get the performance I am looking for. Does this need to be done all at once, batteries, controller, soleniod, etc., or can it be done in phases?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020370.jpg (56.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg P1020380.jpg (45.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P1020383.jpg (73.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouth View Post
Can we see pics of the install?
-CHANGE THE MOTOR AND CABLES AND A LIFT AN ALL WE GET IS A PIC OF A MOTOR SITTING ON THE GROUND NICE
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO