lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2020, 07:24 PM   #1
golfer188910
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car Speed & Torque Help

BGW friends,

Thank you everyone who has commented on recent posts & helped me out via PM.

I am building a 2000 Club Car DS to be mainly a grocery getter, but then fishing/hunting rig on the weekend- we have HILLS in my area.

Currently my setup is;

2000 Club Car DS series
New Trojan 875 batteries (48V total)
Stock 225 AMP controller
D&D 170-003-0002 Motor (21MPH & 10% LOSS in torque)

I am trying to decide what to do to give me some more torque. The speed is fine! But I live in a hilly area and need some more umph

Please keep in mind...

6" lift
22" all terrains
Rear Seat

I know there is many ways to do it, but I need the experts of BGW to chime in... Reliability is also what I am looking for. P.S. I am on a Budget so keep that in mind! Cables, FR switch, and solenoids will be replaced ofcourse.

Option 1- Keep Stock motor and add a 500AMP curtis controller- I'm leaning toward this!
Option 2- Keep Stock controller and add PQ Grizzly motor
Option 3- Keep Stock motor and add navitas 440AMP adjustable controller
Option 4- Buy PQ Grizzly motor, buy 500AMP curtis controller.

Lastly, my low end torque seems to be fine, but once I hit a hill going over 10MPH it wants to stay right around 10-13.

Sincerely, someone who does not know all these crazy electric things!
golfer188910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2020, 07:50 PM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Speed & Torque Help

A 500 amp Alltrax SR controller might be all you need with that D&D motor. It's definitely not stock but it is a speed motor and having those 22" tires further increases the torque loss.

So, you could try just the SR48500 controller and see if that helps with the hills; if it still doesn't meet your needs, you could go with a smaller diameter tire. If that's not an option you may need to switch out to a torque motor, but you may lose some speed.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:49 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

That D&D 170-003-0002 motor is a High Speed motor and is not going to play nice with your lift, tire size, and then hills and hunting (low speed)

PQ Grizzly motor and Alltrax SR-500 or 600. https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/c...-controllers-1

D&D 170-004-0002A (torque) (about ~18 mph with your tires) https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...car-series-48v and Alltrax SR-500 or 600. https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/c...-controllers-1

Good Luck with whatever you choose...
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:39 AM   #4
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

During my motor research, I read repeatedly that if you bog a motor down, even for a short time, it can burn it right up. With that said, you may want to be cautious with your motor so you don't damage it. At least now you could sell it to help offset the new motor in your future. I'll start the bidding at $25!
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #5
golfer188910
Not Yet Wild

Thank you all for the replies...

Im leaning toward the FSIP 500AMP rebuilt controller from FSIP for $265 with one year warranty.

Now for the motor... anyone have suggestions on a high torque motor that would still give me 21 MPH with the tires I'm running? (22 inch) Please keep in mind I still want to be able to play around in the woods going up and down hills at low speeds. Does this type of motor exist?
Old 10-20-2020, 11:37 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

It is one or the other. High speed or High torque. What you take from one end you give to the other.

With the D&D or Grizzly, you may get it with your tires and the 500a controller. But again, when people want High torque, speed is not the concern and vice versa.

And D&D used to make a speed/torque motor that gave you a little more of both. I would call D&D and talk to them in detail and then call Robbie at Plum Quick (PQ) and they will tell you for sure what you can and cannot get with their motors and your set up.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #7
scat pack cart
Not Yet Wild

I got both speed and torque with a package from Dave at revolution. Great on hills and almost 30 mph on road. I also use my 2011 cc for the hunting woods and the road. I know your not wanting to spend a fortune. My package ran around $1500. Not for sure how that works into your budget. Get ahold of him and figure out what works for your price range.
scat pack cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
golfer188910
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
During my motor research, I read repeatedly that if you bog a motor down, even for a short time, it can burn it right up. With that said, you may want to be cautious with your motor so you don't damage it. At least now you could sell it to help offset the new motor in your future. I'll start the bidding at $25!
Can you clarify this for me? When Crawling through the woods & hills the high speed motor can burn up easily? While a torque motor is made for doing that sort of thing and can probably handle it? Even though it is a grocery getter 80% of the time I dont want to get out in the woods and start crawling only to walk home
Old 10-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #9
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer188910 View Post
anyone have suggestions on a high torque motor that would still give me 21 MPH with the tires I'm running? (22 inch) Please keep in mind I still want to be able to play around in the woods going up and down hills at low speeds. Does this type of motor exist?
My Level 5 Upgrade package from Revolution Golf Cars gives me 23 MPH on flat pavement with 400 pounds of people, and has more torque than I've ever needed. 6-inch lift and 23" tires here.
HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #10
Out2Sea
Gone Wild

http://empinc.biz/motors

Wonder if a switchable would work.
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, help., speed, torque
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car