lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2020, 09:44 PM   #11
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Are exposed hubs a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogKiller View Post
I just swapped wheels, and these steelies leave the front hubs exposed. Will this become a problem over time? I’d love to cover them with a chrome cap for aesthetics, but these wheels aren’t machined with a relief for that, and after installing the GTW chrome center caps, I didn’t feel like it was safe.

Of course we can't see the back of the wheel. Are you saying the caps that go in from the BACK of the wheel won't work? Trying to understand why not.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #12
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Of course we can't see the back of the wheel. Are you saying the caps that go in from the BACK of the wheel won't work? Trying to understand why not.
Here's the center caps I was trying: https://www.nivelparts.com/product/3...rome-steel-113

Do they fit? Sort of. That cap was designed for a wheel that has a smaller mounting diameter; plus a recess machined for the cap, including the three raised tabs you can see in the picture at the link above. So the problems include: (1) very little of the flat facing surface of the cap is sandwiched between the wheel and the hub; (2) the cap must be held in place while the wheel is tightened, and will never be truly centered; and (3) it is unknown what will happen if the cap metal sandwiched between the wheel and hub shears off and the flattened material falls out, leaving the wheel loosely mounted.

Would they "work"? Maybe. I bolted them on and drove for a few miles. I called Nivel and they said they certainly weren't designed for each other, but that it appeared from looking at each part that they might fit together at least a little.

At the end of the day I made a safety decision. The aesthetic benefit of using a center cap and wheel that weren't designed for each other wasn't worth the potential danger to my family members who use the cart often.

HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #13
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Understood.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:07 PM   #14
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogKiller View Post
Here's the center caps I was trying: https://www.nivelparts.com/product/3...rome-steel-113

Do they fit? Sort of. That cap was designed for a wheel that has a smaller mounting diameter; plus a recess machined for the cap, including the three raised tabs you can see in the picture at the link above. So the problems include: (1) very little of the flat facing surface of the cap is sandwiched between the wheel and the hub; (2) the cap must be held in place while the wheel is tightened, and will never be truly centered; and (3) it is unknown what will happen if the cap metal sandwiched between the wheel and hub shears off and the flattened material falls out, leaving the wheel loosely mounted.

Would they "work"? Maybe. I bolted them on and drove for a few miles. I called Nivel and they said they certainly weren't designed for each other, but that it appeared from looking at each part that they might fit together at least a little.

At the end of the day I made a safety decision. The aesthetic benefit of using a center cap and wheel that weren't designed for each other wasn't worth the potential danger to my family members who use the cart often.

No danger there at all. The wheel and the lug studs are much stronger than that center cap and as long as the lug nuts are properly torqued there is exactly ZERO danger of the wheel coming loose.
Those style center caps have been used for decades on everything from cars trucks and SUVs to lawn mowers and plenty of golf carts too.

Steel wheels don’t have a flat flange where they mount to the hub, and that’s done on purpose because steel wheels bend and flex as the wheel rolls along with the forces of the vehicle.

It would be better if the center cap matches the diameter of the center hole in the wheel, but even so it will have no impact on the wheel, or safety of the wheel or hub. If you like the look, bolt them on and roll.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:21 PM   #15
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
No danger there at all. The wheel and the lug studs are much stronger than that center cap and as long as the lug nuts are properly torqued there is exactly ZERO danger of the wheel coming loose.
Those style center caps have been used for decades on everything from cars trucks and SUVs to lawn mowers and plenty of golf carts too.

Steel wheels don’t have a flat flange where they mount to the hub, and that’s done on purpose because steel wheels bend and flex as the wheel rolls along with the forces of the vehicle.

It would be better if the center cap matches the diameter of the center hole in the wheel, but even so it will have no impact on the wheel, or safety of the wheel or hub. If you like the look, bolt them on and roll.
And this is what I could not wrap my head around. They ain't going anywhere.
He just needs the correct diameter cap, or snug them down to the center and then torque them down.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car