lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
MOCEAN CONTROL
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default hunting cart with Lithium battery's for cold weather

have been doing my research and see that the lower temp for charging is 32F

has anybody built a hunting cart and ran into issues with this and how to charge the cells in below 32F

we hunt in Kentucky and in November its usually below 32

what do you do to get around this or are these cells nor suitable for this application and stick with the lead acid ?

Thanks for the help!!!!
MOCEAN CONTROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2020, 08:28 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: hunting cart with Lithium battery's for cold weather

You can't charge Lithium below 32 degrees. Electric cars have "battery heaters" to keep the pack warm in cold weather. You can run them below 32 degrees but performance and range will be greatly reduced.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I hunt "up here" in Pennsylvania. I take my cart out hunting all day when temps are below 32. Like even down to the low 20's. (I'm too old 'n wise to hunt in the teens anymore!!)

What I've found is even though the outside temps are 32 or below, the battery pack itself has not dropped below 32. (I have a temp sensor in the middle of my pack)

Now, when I get back from hunting my cart is parked in a heated garage. So, IF I need to recharge it the pack temps are above 32 degrees.

There is another battery heat-up thread here: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=169937 that may be some help.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
ACCLR8N
Getting Wild

Club Car

Cooling off here in Michigan. Wondering about this battery heating business as well. Doesn't appear anybody has actually installed battery heaters from my searching.
ACCLR8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
st91ang
Not Yet Wild

You could look at Lithium Titanate (LTO) batteries. They have a much wider temperature range but they are a bit more expensive as well and you'd probably be looking at building your own battery along with a different charger/profile and possibly BMS.
st91ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I've hunted three seasons here in Pa. The reduced capacity of the battery pack as a result of the cold is very real. However, for me it's not been enough to reconsider a battery heater.

OTOH if I were to install one, I'd likely power it from my separate marine battery....and I would currently be leaning towards a small heater with a fan. But....that's just me.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car