lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #1
mikeman77
Not Yet Wild

Default 1982 Marathon want to use lithium

Hi All.

i have1982? EZ GO Marathon with Trojan T105 in now (6x6v=36v). I have been reading in various posts about controllers and stuff having issues with Allied Lithium batteries. I have couple questions on this.

Is this older style cart better suited for the battery management , balancing of batteries etc, i have been reading about in the posts?

It also seems it wont have the same problems with brakes /motor locking up if batteries fall below the level that they shutdown?

T105 I think are 225 AH at 20 hours, i am satisfied with the run time and power on my property (hills, not super steep but fairly consistent). What should be a good AH rating for equivalent Allied or other brand Lithium? 60AH or 80AH?

thank you all. I hope to be able to contribute as i gain more knowledge.

(I Also have a Pargo probably from early 70's, really neat looking design)
mikeman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2020, 08:44 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1982 Marathon want to use lithium

Most people go for +/- 100 Amp Hours as the "standard" lithium pack for golf carts. Most people do this on newer carts, but you can modify any cart. You will probably spend 1400 to 1900 on the lithium pack, bms, programmable controller and charger. The RoyPow drop-in packs seem like a relatively economical option when compared to the cost to build your own and they have all the stuff built in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The info below is focused on making your own pack. RoyPow has some of this already built in.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Lithium batteries are exceedingly sensitive to pulling the battery pack to too low of a voltage or charging it to too high a voltage. So you need a method to stop the cart when the pack starts going low. Most people use both a 1) BMS with cutoff circuit and 2) a programmable controller to stop the cart when total V reaches a certain point. The BMC works on the individual cell level. The controller works on the whole pack level.

There are two schools of thought on how to balance the pack. The first (and by far most widely used) is to use a BMS to let it balance your pack. The second is to bottom balance the cells. You need to be much more vigilant and know what you're doing if you choose the second method.

The controller will still stop working if the batteries are pulled too low. Doesn't matter if that is a lithium battery or lead acid battery.

The lithium will give you better acceleration due to less weight and far less voltage sag. You can also go to a higher voltage with Lithium which also helps acceleration and top speed on both series and sepex carts.

Most importantly, read. A lot... Battery University has some good info, this site has good info. I read for a couple months before I bought all the supplies I needed. Then I continued to read and didn't install the lithium into my cart for nearly a year... Yes, some of that was procrastination, some was unfounded fear, some was warranted fear... But more knowledge is far better than less knowledge when dealing with lithium.

Good luck!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I don't know that Roypow makes a pack that would be for 36 volt cart....
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

This might be an option...

https://www.extremeteamcarts.com/auto-draft/
Old 10-11-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
mikeman77
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, I really appreciate the info. I am starting the investigation now and maybe will buy in the late spring.
mikeman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:01 PM   #6
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I was wrong, Roypow S38105 is for 36 volts
Old 10-12-2020, 10:17 PM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you buy a pre-made pack they almost always have the BMS built in. You need to make sure to ask what the continuous amp draw is. Some will have this built with a 60 amp continuous draw, which isn't enough. Some people on here have had pre-built lithium packs that state a 100 or 120 amp continuous draw and even though carts pull more amps than that these members have reported good success.

You also want to make sure that the battery pack will stop if it gets too low. On some of the earlier lithium pre-built packs the BMS was only used for balance and charging. So you could over-discharge the pack.

You also need to know what 'chemistry' of lithium they are using in their pack then go check out the features of that type of battery online. Battery University is a good site to read up on but is hard to search. So I use Google and just add Battery University to my search and it works quite well.

Lastly you want to know what the VPC (Voltage Per Cell) cutoff is for the charge and discharge on the BMS they use. Ideally you don't want to charge over 90% (around 4.11 or 4.12vpc if I remember correctly) and you don't want to discharge below 3vpc. But this depends on which lithium chemistry the pack is using. These charge/discharge numbers are for Chevy Volt/Leaf cells. I personally charge to 4.06vpc and discharge to 3.25vpc.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO