lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2020, 07:30 AM   #1
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default HF 670 Died

So I've been running my HF 670 for about 6 months now and its been a great set up on the cart until last night on my way home the cart and all the electronics completely went out as well as the engine died on me last night, had to get towed home, very strange.

For everyone who is not familiar with my set up I have a EzGo ST Sport with a Vegas Carts swing arm and a Harbor Freight 22 engine with a wiring harness from VC as well.

After I got it home I disconnected the battery which was 100% shorting out, I couldn't even touch the battery cables because they were so hot. I did think it was weird that none of my in-line fuse's blew or anything in the fuse block popped? I reconnected the marine fuse block after and the head lights and radio etc. all started working and the moment the engine + was added back to the battery it would kill it and start shorting out.

So that tells me right away it is engine related but the wiring harness is so simple not sure where to check since the in-line fuse at the starter is still good and the 2 grounds to the engine seem to be tight and insulation has no cuts of rips (1 green wire from the harness & 1 8ga from the battery; mounted to a bolt on the engine)

I did NOT check the main + wire at the starter to see if its possibly shorting out on the block but I will when I get home. That being said does anyone have any other ideas? or anyone had issues with the VC wiring harness ? Or possibly the stator inside the engine? this is my second motor due to a vacuum issue on my prior motor so I took it back and this engine has about 16hrs ..

let me know your thoughts!
kellett5261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2020, 06:28 AM   #2
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: HF 670 Died

Found my issue incase anyone cares, some how my main + cable for my fuse panel got under the battery because the battery strap came off and wore through the insulation and grounded to the battery tray. I am very shocked it didn't burn out my fuse panel because the battery more than likely would have caught fire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery.jpg (94.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg grounded.jpg (116.2 KB, 0 views)
kellett5261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:24 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Gotta tighten up that wiring lol .... Seriously though, glad you found it. I've had wiring rub through like that. Now I put all my wire inside conduit.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:53 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Maybe it was all those wheelies you do caused the battery to tilt back and that is how the cable got under there? Thats what I would have said lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!