Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration
Restoration Early 70's and older restoration projects

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2020, 10:24 PM   #1
foodplot
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Clutch modifications to increase speed on gas Cushman

I'm looking to build up a gas cart using a 70's gas Cushman transaxle. It has a 15.6 final drive ratio (tag on differential also has this). The cart originally had the 8 Hp Kohler engine in it, but I plan on putting a 12 HP engine in. With 22 inch tires I will only get about 13 mph top speed if I use drive and driven clutches that produce a 1:1 ratio. The original cushman driven(secondary) clutch is 9 7/8" diameter compared to most ezgo/ CC clutches that are around 7 1/2". The drive clutch is around 8". I'm not sure what ratio those two clutches produced at max rpm. Maybe some knows.

Since my 8 HP kohler had the tapered crankshaft, I can't use that clutch on the 12 that has a straight shaft, so I will be purchasing new clutches. Is there a clutch combination that will give me an overdrive ratio? A 10 or 20 percent would be nice to bring my top speed up a little. I did see a 10 year old post "34 MPH cushman" where the individual used the original cushman driven and a Club Car drive clutch to give him a 30% overdrive using the same transaxle as mine. I wish I knew what diameter clutches produced this since it doesn't seem possible with a larger 9 7/8" driven like I have on the cushman transaxle. Any input is appreciated, thanks!
foodplot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #2
Joe Bladen
Not Yet Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Clutch modifications to increase speed on gas Cushman

Comet/Certified parts seem to be a primary clutch source. They have a technical line that might help, Don Jackson 608-774-0481.

With that being said, I am rebuilding a 12HP Kohler and have a new-old-stock crankshaft that incorporates the original style taper and thread. If by chance you are interested in selling youroriginal clutch, I'm interested. Thanks Joe
Joe Bladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:38 PM   #3
foodplot
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the response Joe; I sent you a private message with contact info if you are still interested in my cushman clutch.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:18 PM   #4
stevewilli
Not Yet Wild

I did the same engine upgrade but am also hoping to find a way to make it go faster. I used a Comet 94c drive clutch and the original driven clutch, but the top end is awful. Please post any advice you get that well make them go faster. Any feasible way to replace the gear in the differential to accomplish this?
stevewilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:38 PM   #5
foodplot
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

What driven clutch diameter are you using? I am going to use a comet 780 drive (302405A) 7.25" diameter and 790 driven (301289C) 8.5" diameter. This will give me an overdrive ratio somewhere around .54 or .61 depending on what chart you read. Larger tires will also gain you a few more MPH. I did see that some transaxles have different gears you can purchase, but the price was $300+ and I chose not to go that route.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration