lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2020, 10:50 PM   #81
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: My VC 460 Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Cut the stock coil mounting bosses off the block . I used one of those vibrating tools with a metal cutting blade. Not a lot of fun but got the job done. Then I mocked up the raceseng adjustable coil bracket and billet flywheel to check for fit. With this I am committed to use the the Raceseng set up or buy a new block
Looking good, I like the ignition setup. How much advance will it get up to?
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2020, 06:10 AM   #82
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I think it will go out to 8 or 10 degrees advance but they suggest using a timing wheel to be perfectly accurate. Raceseng is long since out of the small engine market. Some of the racers back in the day claimed their flywheels and rocker were the best items to have. I was not able to get a set of the rockers when they were selling off all the small engine parts. I gather they didn't want to compete with others lower pricing. I didn't want to cut a block until I was sure what was going to be used inside. The block height / connecting rod/ piston thing really slowed me down. Building a Gen 2 type engine would have been simple but that forces the use of the dished piston. I really wanted the bullfrog rod but back when I first spotted it but the cost was $175.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:37 PM   #83
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I use my timing light and worked backwards. Timing light is the inductive type like the Equus tach pickup so you need a battery. Use a bendable wire for a pointer and spin the engine over and make a mark on the flywheel called F. This is 26-27 degrees before top dead center. Line up the pointer with the flywheel F -- this where it fires. I bought an assortment of degree tapes from MSD and the one that fits a 8 inch harmonic balancer works great on the flywheel.
I put the 26 degree mark on the F mark on the flywheel and dial indicated the top of the piston and it was less then one degree of of the tape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6606.JPG (226.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-07-2020, 02:54 PM   #84
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Great idea but alas the raceseng is 6.5"s so it would not be exact. The weight on the raceseng is 1035 gms versus a supposed honda take off at 5690 gms. Another interesting note here is I was playing around spinning the bearing on the chinese produced 64 mm crank and felt some roughness.I shot some WD 40 thru the bearing into a cup and got some nonmagnetic tiny particles. Good thing I am not in a time crunch building this thing.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:31 PM   #85
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I just did the same thing to every bearing in the block and got some out of all of them. Also ordered a ball bearing bell crank from Speedway Motors like I used in Suzi for this engine.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:52 PM   #86
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Great idea but alas the raceseng is 6.5"s so it would not be exact. The weight on the raceseng is 1035 gms versus a supposed honda take off at 5690 gms. Another interesting note here is I was playing around spinning the bearing on the chinese produced 64 mm crank and felt some roughness.I shot some WD 40 thru the bearing into a cup and got some nonmagnetic tiny particles. Good thing I am not in a time crunch building this thing.
I have some leftovers from mine that would work for you if you want them PM me.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:33 PM   #87
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

When I thought wrongly that NR had sent me a 68 mm crank I bought a 66 mm from a vertical shaft 420 cc. The interesting part of this story is how the vertical engine oils the crankshaft connecting rod area.It has a chamfered port from the lower end down in the sump filling another port on the crank throw itself rather than a splash fin on the rod. I guess this is of no advantage in the horizontal shaft engines since I don't see any of the racers doing anything like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0823.jpg (305.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0824.jpg (319.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-08-2020, 04:06 PM   #88
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I really studied Jody Powell's billet flywheel installation from ARC racing's video on youtube. It is much more detailed the the raceseng pamphlet. I will do the crank to flywheel lapping process I hope tomorrow. Of mice and men
My tube of valve grinding compound is hardened up .
Old 10-08-2020, 07:51 PM   #89
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Sometimes it pays to be a stubborn old man. I restored the valve grinding compound with some lubriplate 105. Did the lapping and just sliding the flywheel onto the crank the two are hard to get apart. Certainly not going anywhere when torqued to 65+ ft/lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0825.jpg (329.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-09-2020, 01:49 PM   #90
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Now just waiting for the Speedway Motors bell crank to show up to decide it's mounting before all the final assembly items such as crank shimming and installation of the NRracing side cover stud kit. Hopefully next week my Omega 1 short block will Finally be assembled. It has been kind of a long journey getting all the parts in order. This was my first starting from scratch clone build as before I started with a gen 1 VC 460 assembled by them in Vegas in 2014 and then upgraded to a gen 3 by me in 2016.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps