lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default G1 23hp Vanguard Install

I currently am running a 16 hp Vanguard in my G1 but have recently purchased a 23hp Vanguard and i have some questions:

1.) Is the CPP rev kit the same for the 16hp and 23hp?

2.) Is the Cheetah cam the same for both engines also?

3.) Can I replace the stock 2bbl with one that has the black emulsion tube and adjustable jet? Are they interchangeable?

4.) What is the preferred exhaust header for the 23hp?

For clarification....I have these parts from my planned 16hp build that never made it to fruition. The 16hp may have bad rings, so im not wanting to invest in that engine.
Thanks in advance.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2018, 08:09 PM   #2
yamahag1cart
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 23hp Vanguard Install

I can't answer any of your twin questions but would love to see the swap!

I am just finishing a 18hp 440 swap in my G1! I am certain I've read your build thread but how do you like the cart?
yamahag1cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahag1cart View Post
I can't answer any of your twin questions but would love to see the swap!

I am just finishing a 18hp 440 swap in my G1! I am certain I've read your build thread but how do you like the cart?
I like my cart the way it's set up now. I've done a ton of modifications. You say you've read my "thread".....not sure which one, I have several. I consider myself a G1 junkie expert lol. I feel like I have the most modded out G1 you'll see currently being used. I use mine for yard work/chores, cruising the hood, and for fun trail riding down south. I've put it through the mill.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #4
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

From what I understand there is an elbow at each end of the stock B&S carburetor. I thought about using a 350 cfm Holley 2 barrel. I know you'll say its too tall, but just think of the power and torque. Think about it -- how many times does the intake air change direction? The downdraft carburetor will use gravity to accelerate the air charge -- just like a lot of the jap bikes.

https://www.google.com/search?newwin....0.sNgAUp8Rf9w
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:33 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I currently am running a 16 hp Vanguard in my G1 but have recently purchased a 23hp Vanguard and i have some questions:

1.) Is the CPP rev kit the same for the 16hp and 23hp? Per website, works for 12.5/14/16/18/21 and 23hp engines.

2.) Is the Cheetah cam the same for both engines also? Per website, 23 hp stock cam will work in 14/16/18 hp. So seems the cams are interchangeable in these blocks.
3.) Can I replace the stock 2bbl with one that has the black emulsion tube and adjustable jet? Are they interchangeable? I don't see why not.

4.) What is the preferred exhaust header for the 23hp? Easy bolt on, CPP or custom Robertson's torque tube kit.
For clarification....I have these parts from my planned 16hp build that never made it to fruition. The 16hp may have bad rings, so im not wanting to invest in that engine.
Thanks in advance.
I have always found stock carb's to be rather "bogging" in mid range, nature of the beast so to say. They were desighned to idle or 3.8k rpm. But I'm no Briggs carb expert. A Mikuni is really nice
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Thanks for the replies guys.

I ended up calling Vegas Carts and they sell an unwelded kit for Yamaha's for $99, so I went with that. Aaron also sold me on the "Dogbones" for tightening down the engine to the mount, never even knew those existed. And I also picked up a pair of their swingarm drop brackets.

I'm thinking I'm just going to go ahead and swap over the rev kit and the black emulsion tube carb. I also have an air filter setup and elbow kit that I was going to use on the 16, so I'll see if that fits in there as well.

Hoping to tear into this today. I'll get some pics up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drop brackets.jpg (83.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DOGBONES-2T.jpg (59.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DOGBONES-3T.jpg (58.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DOGBONES-4T.jpg (61.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Vegas Carts exhaust kit.....

Super nice mandrel bent pipes. The kit fits EZGO and Yami G2-G16 I believe. Since my cart is G1, I had to modify it quite a bit. Gave me a chance to use my new Lincoln welder!

I actually ordered two kits......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3710.jpg (416.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3708.jpg (359.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3709.jpg (298.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3714.jpg (629.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

And.....the engine......

23hp Vanguard.....overall size is very close to the 16hp version, I was actually quite surprised how close. I didn't even measure it because it sit down in the exact location without any clearance issues at all.

Weight wise it was noticeably heavier. It does have two hoist brackets there which made it super easy to use my winch to drop it into the chassis.

I was surprised that it didn't come with any stickers. The one sticker on the side says "not for sale in US". I'm guessing this is a "Non Badged" engine for sale for repowering equipment where you don't want it to say "Briggs and Stratton". My old 16 engine is like that, it had "Cub Cadet" stickers on it. I believe the guy I bought it from was a dealer, says it was purchased for a project but never used.

I don't know why these photos are sideways. The pics are normal on my PC. Maybe because I used an iPhone? Mods can you correct this for me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3697.jpg (331.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3698.jpg (280.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3699.jpg (347.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3700.jpg (316.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3706.jpg (232.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-01-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Exhaust fabbed up. The muffler I used is a tractor muffler from the local tractor store. It sounds fantastic! Much deeper tone than the 16hp. The pipes are nice and thick gauge so they welded up real nice! Not saying the welds look nice lol, but they are deeply penetrated. I used flux core on it, so it's hard to get a nice look. But it welded quick and hot. It took some trial and error, but essentially all I had to do was shorten the pipes on the sideways sections, then shorten the rearward part in front of the muffler. Fits nice. It's actually cooler under the hood than the 16 was because this pipe is so much thicker. I think I might still get some exhaust pipe wrap to cut down on the heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3740.jpg (390.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3741.jpg (416.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3739.jpg (434.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Sound is fantastic. Runs so smooth I can't even believe it. Power is instant off idle! It almost feels like it want's to lift the front tires up, but it looses traction in gravel and grass. Haven't tried it on pavement. I'm not really trying to run it hard yet, want to break it in real good.

Overall I'd say it's much more powerful than the 16hp off idle and up to about 3000 rpm or so. I didn't go past 3500 so the jury is still out on that. I've heard that with a rev kit this engine will be drastically different, but I'll wait a bit for that.

Very pleased with the 23hp engine. I'm convinced that any cart that I build after this will have the 23hp Vanguard in it.

If you are not sure what engine to go with and your budget allows it? Go with the 23!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!