lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #1
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default How many put a fuse in their battery pack

Reading the Alltrax website PDF's and came across Lessons-Learned.pdf Really a good little write up.

In there was two things that caught my eye; first was placing a fuse in the pack, and the second was a diode on the solenoid. Any of you do that on your carts? or does it come standard on certain brands. Owning a CC DS I do not see either. Seems like a simple and cheap thing to do that would make the cart safer and more reliable.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How many put a fuse in their battery pack

Alltrax is the only controller manufacture to advocate (and supply) a main fuse. I think it's a good idea but I continually see controllers & motors fry and even burn without blowing the fuse ? So i'm not convinced its real effective. The voltage suppression diode is something I think every solenoid (contactor) should have on it to protect the rest of the cart from the spike in fly back voltage unleashed by the collapsing coil field every time you let off the gas
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Those big ANL fuses are just a fire prevention. A majority of the time the controller will fry before those open but if a short is created then that will open before metal starts to glow red. If you look at the data sheets on them the 500A ones are good for upwards of 800~1000amps for 10 or 15seconds before they open.

The suppression diode is normally built right into the driver of a controller. It doesn't hurt to have an extra one on the solenoid itself (as long as its oriented correctly) but typically not needed.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjroman20 View Post
Those big ANL fuses are just a fire prevention. A majority of the time the controller will fry before those open but if a short is created then that will open before metal starts to glow red. If you look at the data sheets on them the 500A ones are good for upwards of 800~1000amps for 10 or 15seconds before they open.

The suppression diode is normally built right into the driver of a controller. It doesn't hurt to have an extra one on the solenoid itself (as long as its oriented correctly) but typically not needed.
MOST ALL controllers I'm familiar with do not have a built in suppression diode - Please list the one that do

If the connection to the cart is lost within the first 15 seconds of a fire the fuse remains intact and the fire well.... I got video
Old 05-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
MOST ALL controllers I'm familiar with do not have a built in suppression diode - Please list the one that do
Curtis, Sevcon, Zapi, InMotion/Danaher, Junghienrich to name a few I have worked with. It's typically right between the driver FET drain and the coil positive supply.

The fire prevention thing..that's only what a couple control manufactures told me. I wasn't really advocating their use, I have some photos of a zapi that turned into an aluminum box of ashes. Probably more for the battery fires than the controllers.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjroman20 View Post
Curtis, Sevcon, Zapi, InMotion/Danaher, Junghienrich to name a few I have worked with. It's typically right between the driver FET drain and the coil positive supply.

The fire prevention thing..that's only what a couple control manufactures told me. I wasn't really advocating their use, I have some photos of a zapi that turned into an aluminum box of ashes. Probably more for the battery fires than the controllers.
Do you mean some Curtis ?
Most GC Curtis applications seem to have a diode on the solenoid.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #7
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Do you mean some Curtis ?
Most GC Curtis applications seem to have a diode on the solenoid.
Yes, some, most of those older 1206's and series models don't. The 1244s 123xAC models, 1268/64, etc, yes. But I assume we are talking newer upgrade controls, but I dont know enough about alltrax to say they have it or not. Just seems way more common in modern controls.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts