lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
moesdeals
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Why Is The Yamaha G8 The Least Popular Cart?

You know, I can be hard headed sometimes but this Yamaha G8 cart that I bought really has me frustrated. I have spent literally a 100-120 hours trying to get help on this forum for answers on this year of cart, as well as searching the internet high and low for parts that will fit a G8. I find that no one wants to really get involved with answers that I have needed about the G8 and maybe it is because Yamaha only built this cart for one year then went to the G9 which was a re-styling of the G2. I have got really frustrated when I have contacted over 25 suppliers of parts only to hear that oh so common :oh, argh, you have a G8: and sorry man we don't have that part. I actually got more questions answered from sellers on eBay than anywhere else.
Parts are slim picking for this cart. To get a hitch ( after buying a wrong one) I am having a custom bumper/hitch built for the cart and the same for the front brush guard, I am having it built. I want to lift the car 4" but the economy lift kits don't work. I know this because the one that was supposed to work that I bought will not fit. I am staying with the stock sized tires so I have torque that I need. I want shock extenders for the cart since I want to raise it 4" but they are not made for the G8. I wanted to change the front cowl and could not find a G8 so ordered a G16 cowl to dress it up. I wanted a headlight and rear tail light combination set since I bought the G16 cowl but guess what? None are made for the G8. I am going to use G9's hopefully.
I have begged to find information on how to align the front end but no one seems to know how this is done.
I have ordered a new Alltrax 400 NPX controller and a new voltage regulator from a very nice supplier. They had me contact Alltrax to decide what controller would work for my application on the G8.

I can not find shocks for this critter at any reasonable price. The one supplier that said he had some that would work, wanted over double the price of the G9's. I can not find a throttle sensor ( even a used one) w/o paying the price of a controller practically.
If I had it to do all over again it would have been much easier had I bought a G9 or newer.
Now that I have blown off this steam I want to thank the two people that have helped me from this forum. I really do appreciate hearing back from people and appreciate them taking time out of their busy day to help a newbie like me.
Thanks,
Too stubborn to give up
moesdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
macadoe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Why Is The Yamaha G8 The Least Popular Cart?

I'm kinda in the same boat. I fell into a G8 about a month ago and have had some trouble getting specific G8 responses. I've gotten all my basic battery and technical questions answered here. There is a G8 club page in the forum and have found many answers to some of my G8 questions browsing the pages there. I'm also new to the G8 and carts in general. I'm usually a trial and error guy but some of the parts for the G8 are pricey and would suck to spend the money for them not to fit. Hang in there, I know I'm going to.
macadoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...ease-post.html

These guys may be able to give you a hand
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Sorry to hear your so frustrated. The only thing you mentioned that is not available is the "inlaid" head lite assy for a G8 front cowel, and I have a set of plastic basels, just need rectangular head lights installed in them and make your own wire harness. Dave in VA is right, if you need help with a G8, check it out in the Yamaha gas section....those guy's are "NUTS" about there G8's and I mean "NUTS"!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Right now it may not be much consolation to you, but I don't care which kind of cart you have, it will try your patience!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
moesdeals
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I suppose that you are right. it is just very frustrating to find minimal parts for the G* compared to the other Yamaha models. Thanks for the encouragement. Still can't find shocks or a 4" lift kit. I have looked high and low.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
moesdeals
Gone Wild

Yamaha

hey smallblock450sl , it looks like you are not far from me. Thnks for all of your inout. You have been great. I am in Missoula. Thanks for the offer on the bezel. I have paid for a G16 front cowl now (if LSV in Newport Beach Cal ever ships it or answers me) and a G8 cart. It looks like I may have to build my own lights.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by moesdeals View Post
hey smallblock450sl , it looks like you are not far from me. Thnks for all of your inout. You have been great. I am in Missoula. Thanks for the offer on the bezel. I have paid for a G16 front cowl now (if LSV in Newport Beach Cal ever ships it or answers me) and a G8 cart. It looks like I may have to build my own lights.
I hope you are satisfied with your purchase. Others have been less than satisfied with them.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #9
moesdeals
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It is what it is. I had no idea what kind of cart to buy when I decided to get one for my application of getting me around on my small acreage since I am somewhat disabled. All I knew at that time was that I was buying a Yamaha cart. Now that I have the cart I just have to work harder to find the parts needed and to repair it the way I want it.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
LarryLive
Gone Wild

Moe sorry I havn't been on in a while. I to am a G8 fan and my best advice for you is to give Don Plowman a call at 810-736-1100 at Plowmanscarts.com.
Don has a surplus of new old stock G8 parts and that includes cowls.

Now to try and answer your original question. The G8 was ahead of it's time and it was over priced when they were first sold. Yamaha dropped them and started the G9 because the G9 was so similar on the outside to the G2. On the underneath of a G9 lays a G8 that looks like a G2. When Yamaha came out with the G14 it was basically a G8 with an updated body and a few minor improvments in the electronics. As a matter of fact many G14 parts will also fit a G8. By the way a Jakes lift kit for a G14 will fit perfectly on a G8
LarryLive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aargh!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha