lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Phil J
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Is it typical for end of charger cord to get hot?

Now that I am using my cart daily I have noticed that the end of the charger cord that attachés to cart gets quite hot especially in the early stages of charging. Is this a normal situation or should I be looking for a problem? If you have read some of my threads this cart is all pretty much new in regards to electrical parts. The only thing I can see is that the charging cord feels week just before the section that plugs into cart. Maybe some of the wire strands have broken due to years of use. This is a 1995CC with a Powerdrive charger that came originally with cart. The batteries are also new.

Thanks
Phil
Phil J is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Is it typical for end of charger cord to get hot?

Two things to consider Phil,
The beginning of the charging cycle is when the highest amps are being delivered and resistance causes heat.
If you can get away with it I would cut the charging cord back about a foot and reinstall the plug after you clean both ends of the plug and recepticle.
If you can't shorten it you might need to replace it and if that's the case step up to the next gauge on wire size.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Warm is normal, but hot to the touch is bad. Check the connector end and make sure that your plug terminals are clean and not pushed in. If you can take apart the end, look at the crimp/solder and inspect for corrosion or frayed wires. If your cord looks good, then inspect your charcge port .lift the seat of the cart and inspect the wires going from the charge port to the battery. They should be clean with no corrosion or frayed ends. You may need to pull the wire out of the loom to inspect the whole length. I have seen these wires held on by 3-4 strands of wire, or wrapped around a battery post with the nut tightened to hold it on. If your connections to the battery aren't perfect, you will get a hot cord and the wires inside the cart are probably getting very hot too.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
TCruz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like a bad connection. Electricity runs on what is called the skin effect. Meaning it needs surface area to pass along. A high current needs a larger surface area to pass across. If you have a bad connection as others have said, then all the current your charger is sending to the batteries is having to be pushed across a smaller area and heat will definitely be factor. If it feels loose I would cut it back or replace it. You could burn/melt something else up if you don’t.
TCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would say your cord is failing from all the years of use.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
Phil J
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys. That was my gut feeling. I think it is a little bit of everything you guys mentioned. I ordered today a new charger cord and a new cart receptacle. I think I will replace the wires from the receptacle also. I have to much invested in the cart already and would hate to burn it up.

Thanks again Phil
Phil J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:25 PM   #7
aalbert77
Not Yet Wild

2004 Club Car Carryall with high miles 1-2021
Damaged Plug, Receptacle, or Conections?

My charging cord heated enough to burn me when charging longer than 1 hour . I spent last summer replacing hot loose AC high current connectors and learned that connections and connectors should NEVER get hot with proper sized cable and connectors.

My Charger Plug was very loose, but I did not know if problem was the cord, receptacle, or connections. I noticed that the receptacle females were loose and wobbly inside the plastic housing. I ordered a new 10LOL receptacle for $31. I changed the receptacle and the new one was tight and did not heat, so I concluded the 2004 Club Car charger and cord were Ok. Note that charger plug pins are cleanable and likely do not shrink in diameter while the receptacle sockets are hard to clean and expand in diameter.

I did failure analysis on the old receptacle. Pried apart 4 sides of metal sockets. See pics. There are 4 sides of the socket held together by a round spring at the end. I believe these springs loosen resulting in enlarged diameter sockets. I think that the pins and sockets are self-cleaning as long as the socket remain tight. I could see brass exposed where the plug pins slide inside the socket. However the red lead socket was 70% blackened (dirty, layer of oxidation) and the black lead socket was 90% blackened. That explained the heating since only 10-30% of the surface was conducting. It would be possible to pry the 4 sides apart and clean the sockets but the springs would remain loose so replacement is necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5847.jpg (86.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5846.jpg (109.6 KB, 0 views)
aalbert77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts