lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2020, 05:51 PM   #11
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Minimum lithium ah for shuttle

Hi Dougs_huntingcart,

Your battery current is consistently around 200A, that’s pretty much 1C of your current 204Ah battery. At that current draw switching over to Lithium will see a considerable increase in range for the same capacity battery. You should even get an increase in range with half the lithium capacity of your current FLA setup.

Remember, switching over to Lithium gives you these these 4 benefits. (Plus a few others)

1. Ability to use 100% of rated capacity as opposed to only 50%. Using 80% will increase battery life but 100% will not shorten it. It will last it’s rated discharge/recharge cycle life.

2. It’s rated capacity is it’s rated capacity regardless of current draw. At 200A, your 204Ah FLA battery will be rated at less than 100Ah.

3. Reduced weight, so your 200A up hill current draw may reduce.

4. Fast recharge at any time. If your setup is not going as far as you require, a quick 1/2 or 1 hour boost (if feasible) in the middle of the day may be all that is required. Multiple shorter charges will be ok too. These boost charges will also serve to lengthen battery life.

You asked if 100Ah will be sufficient. You are currently getting 5mi but want to increase that to 10mi. You’re asking for a 4 times increase in performance (1/2 battery, double range) Based on your information my thought are that 100Ah may not be enough. I would go to at least 150Ah but maybe even 200Ah if daytime recharging is not an option.

Hopefully Sergio will correct any incorrect assumptions I may have made.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2020, 10:56 PM   #12
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Hi Dougs_huntingcart,

Your battery current is consistently around 200A, that’s pretty much 1C of your current 204Ah battery. At that current draw switching over to Lithium will see a considerable increase in range for the same capacity battery. You should even get an increase in range with half the lithium capacity of your current FLA setup.

Remember, switching over to Lithium gives you these these 4 benefits. (Plus a few others)

1. Ability to use 100% of rated capacity as opposed to only 50%. Using 80% will increase battery life but 100% will not shorten it. It will last it’s rated discharge/recharge cycle life.

2. It’s rated capacity is it’s rated capacity regardless of current draw. At 200A, your 204Ah FLA battery will be rated at less than 100Ah.

3. Reduced weight, so your 200A up hill current draw may reduce.

4. Fast recharge at any time. If your setup is not going as far as you require, a quick 1/2 or 1 hour boost (if feasible) in the middle of the day may be all that is required. Multiple shorter charges will be ok too. These boost charges will also serve to lengthen battery life.

You asked if 100Ah will be sufficient. You are currently getting 5mi but want to increase that to 10mi. You’re asking for a 4 times increase in performance (1/2 battery, double range) Based on your information my thought are that 100Ah may not be enough. I would go to at least 150Ah but maybe even 200Ah if daytime recharging is not an option.

Hopefully Sergio will correct any incorrect assumptions I may have made.

Cheers
Pat.
After looking at all these factors associated to moving into the lithium set up I think that the prudent way to go is design and build the a pack as close to 200ah as would fit in the cart. keeping with the ~80% to 20% charge/discharge guideline would require a slightly larger pack as you said to accommodate for our requirement of being able to shuttle our butts around the hill country.
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:23 PM   #13
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I’m doing just that with Nissan Leaf modules. I’m using 21 modules with three modules in parallel and 7 modules in series. Each module is 65Ah so I’ll end up with a 195Ah pack. Since they are reclaimed modules their capacity may already be reduced a bit. I’m expecting around 175Ah but will have to wait to do a capacity test on it. I already have the modules but am waiting for the BMS and charger components to be delivered.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium