lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2020, 07:31 AM   #21
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Which brands of tires are good?

I went with Arisun X-Terrain 23X10R14 based off a buddy of mine and a few neighbors that have them that do 99% street riding and get years of use out of them. Regardless how much you or what brand tire you get make sure to keep the alignment correct and rotate them.

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #22
HogKiller
Gone Wild

My Arisun X-Trails are quiet on the street and so far so good for hunting (at 7psi). It was tough to decide between a 22x10 combo or a 23x12. There's only about a 10% sidewall difference between these combos. I wanted a soft, quiet, durable hunting tire. I ended up buying 23x12 6-ply and am not sure I made the right decision. Next time I need tires I will probably go the 22x10 route just to try something else.
HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #23
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murby View Post
What size tires and rims are those? Look like something 8 wide on the front and 10 wide on the rear? 10 inch rims?
I used stock replacement tires/wheels from a Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4, direct from the Polaris dealer. Fronts are 23x7x10, rears are 22x10x10. I have since moved on to 25" tires/wheels from a RZR. I like the atv/utv tire setups with the skinnier tire in front, helps with steering. All the atv's/utv's are set up that way for a reason. I have a background in atv racing, and that's how all the quads are set up. So there's a familiarity thing there too.

And what are the handles around the seats for?
Those handles are long gone, I changed out the seats for a bench seat. But those seats you see are from a Subaru Brat pickup, the jump seats from the bed. The kids liked the handles, I didn't.

I would have bought a side by side UTV if they weren't $15k or a pain to get in and out of.. and they made one that was electric.
This is exactly why I built my cart, to use around the house/property for maintenance etc and to take to the hunting land to get around. I have trail ridden this thing a ton. It surprised my bro in law who has a $20k Polaris Ranger with heat/air lol. I went everywhere he did.
Here's the current setup. These tires are from a Polaris RZR utv. They are 6 ply Mudlites I believe, 25". Great off road in the muck, but really crappy on hard surfaces. They are ok on the grass, but tear the grass up a bit. They ride much more harsh than the old setup with the 489's. I like the size, hate the tire. So I'm going to order 25" 489's in 4 ply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hunting cart viking shocks 4.jpg (490.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg hunting cart viking shocks 3.jpg (503.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg hunting cart viking shocks 1.jpg (512.6 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:36 PM   #24
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Here's the current setup. These tires are from a Polaris RZR utv. They are 6 ply Mudlites I believe, 25". Great off road in the muck, but really crappy on hard surfaces. They are ok on the grass, but tear the grass up a bit. They ride much more harsh than the old setup with the 489's. I like the size, hate the tire. So I'm going to order 25" 489's in 4 ply.
I'm curious, if those tires are tearing things up and rough on the road, what makes you think the 489's will be any better? I'm asking because the 489's seem to be every bit as aggressive as what you have now.

I don't know squat about tires other than the obvious things that only require some common sense. With the exception of some lug patterns, I don't see a difference between the 489's and what you have.

I have generally taken the position that the less surface area the lugs occupy, the better the tire will be on slippery surfaces.. More space between the lugs = better traction.. to a point.

I did notice that the 489's have a path down the center of the tire with a higher lug density. Is that what would make them smoother on hard surfaces?
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:13 PM   #25
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yes the band in the center helps smooth on road ride. I like the round shape tire it does better off road. Mine are 11 wide and I like the wide tires, nice in sand. I have all of them same size so I can rotate and for floatation. It will roll over sand easy which was important when I had the stock engine, it matters less now with the clone that has a cam and rod in it. It does not turn that well in snow is the only problem I've had with the wide tires on the front, but not sure narrow tires would do much better anyway. I also wanted the tires to look large as possible, so I was not interested in putting narrow front tires on. But I usually say, make the cart your own.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:48 PM   #26
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I like the ATV tires in my signature, strong,quiet and no noise on road
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #27
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
I'm curious, if those tires are tearing things up and rough on the road, what makes you think the 489's will be any better? I'm asking because the 489's seem to be every bit as aggressive as what you have now.
Because I have both lol. Didn't you see the pics? I ran the 489's for probably 6-7 years. Now they are on my quad. I just recently switched to the mud lite style tires, they have deep claws that grab the grass and dirt leaving marks behind.

Quote:

I did notice that the 489's have a path down the center of the tire with a higher lug density. Is that what would make them smoother on hard surfaces?
Yes 100%. This is the genius in this design. The outer lugs provide the traction in the messy stuff. So they are designed for smooth hard terrain AND mud. No they are not BEST in either scenario, but you have to give up something. No tire does it all THE BEST when comparing. But I find the 489's to work well on pavement, snow, mud, dirt, sand, and grass.

Listen, we can only give advice based on our experiences, that's all I'm doing. I don't sell tires and I'm not trying to talk you into one or the other. The bottom line is, get what YOU like.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:13 PM   #28
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Some people get a mud tire just because it looks cooler, and they don't care if it vibrates on pavement or wears faster. Its all what you want. I do yard work too so I wanted aggressive for wet trails but could not have yard tears. With a stock engine if you spin you are stuck, so aggressive tires help you a lot, you don't have power to spin tires like an atv and get out of a spot. Big mud tires can also slow a stock cart down they take more power to turn them, so its all a balance of what you want. The mudlites were specific to deal with mud, have a center rib for hard surfaces, and are light weight for better performance. But you get some downsides for that too, still very popular tires and great design and the light weight really helps underpowered carts.

Also with my trailpro 3 ply I could lay one on the floor and stand on the tire unmounted, and could not crush the bare tire. I can let all the air out of them and drive around, it has to sit there a week before they will get flat.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:51 PM   #29
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Some people get a mud tire just because it looks cooler, and they don't care if it vibrates on pavement or wears faster. Its all what you want........... Big mud tires can also slow a stock cart down they take more power to turn them, so its all a balance of what you want.......
It's all about style vs function. You give one up to get the other. Gotta find the balance Danielson!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg balance.JPG (169.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts