lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
Murby
Gone Wild

Default Which brands of tires are good?

Need advice on tires and wheels.
2013 Precedent.
I live on a small farm down a country dirt road and its very hilly around here. During the spring and fall, the paths around the farm can get muddy.
We also experience a lot of wet grass on hills.
I'm looking for a set of golf cart tires to go on my 2013 Precedent (AllSports Long Travel lift) that won't leave me stuck or unable to climb a hill with wet grass.
I also want to be able to travel down the dirt/gravel roads without vibrating to death or wearing out my tires.
Been looking a mud tires but a lot of them seem too aggressive.. thing is, most of the all terrain tires don't seem aggressive enough.
I'm not looking to go heavy mud bogging, but the trails and paths around here can get a bit wet and sloppy.
Having a total lack of experience with golf carts, I'm seeking advice. Which brands of tires are known for quality?
I'm settled on a 4ply or better 22 inch diameter tire with a 10 or 12 inch rim. Should be 10 or 11 wide.
Suggestions?
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Which brands of tires are good?

Mud tires are good for mud ,but not much else. Most give a choppy ride and vibrate a lot on the road. I use atv tires on my cart, and the ones I like the best are Carlisle 489's. They used to come factory on most full size Polaris quads. They ride smooth on pavement, but offer excellent traction in all off road conditions. Deep mud, however, is not their strength. Sand, snow, mud, grass, dirt, gravel, pavement....all good with these tires.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:59 PM   #3
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Mud tires are good for mud ,but not much else. Most give a choppy ride and vibrate a lot on the road. I use atv tires on my cart, and the ones I like the best are Carlisle 489's. They used to come factory on most full size Polaris quads. They ride smooth on pavement, but offer excellent traction in all off road conditions. Deep mud, however, is not their strength. Sand, snow, mud, grass, dirt, gravel, pavement....all good with these tires.
Thanks, but it doesn't seem like any of their tires of that type come in a 22 inch diameter.. they're all 25, 26 and up.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:18 PM   #4
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

You might have to look around a bit for the size you want.

I found these on a Canadian tire site. It sounds like a good tire for your application.

AT489.JPG
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:34 PM   #5
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
You might have to look around a bit for the size you want.

I found these on a Canadian tire site. It sounds like a good tire for your application.

Attachment 213187
That's a nice tire.. even found a photo of the 22x11-10. And after seeing that photo, I'm thinking a 12 inch wheel would be better.. kind of looks like a big balloon tire on that small of a rim.

But that is a nice looking tire with the type of tread I'm looking for.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:45 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murby View Post
Thanks, but it doesn't seem like any of their tires of that type come in a 22 inch diameter.. they're all 25, 26 and up.
That's funny, I had 22" on my cart for years.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:11 AM   #7
Murby
Gone Wild

I found the Carlisle AT489.. they're 3 ply tires. We have a lot of small bushes that get chopped by the brush hog but stick up a few inches.. I'd rather have a 4 or 6 ply.

But ****, those AT489's are nice looking.

Anyone know where the GTW tires are made? Good brand? Best I can figure after lots of googling is that the are made by Kenda, but can't confirm that.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:22 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I've never had a problem with the 489s, I've def put them through the paces. My back half is brush hogged and I don't seem to have any issues riding around. I recently switched to 4 ply mud tires from a RZR and it totally rides like crap now. Switching back very soon. The ride quality really changes when you go up in ply. To me, the diff between 3 and 4 ply for puncture resistance isn't all that big of a deal. Now 6 ply? Different story. But I don't think I'd ever use a 6 ply.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:59 PM   #9
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I've never had a problem with the 489s, I've def put them through the paces. My back half is brush hogged and I don't seem to have any issues riding around. I recently switched to 4 ply mud tires from a RZR and it totally rides like crap now. Switching back very soon. The ride quality really changes when you go up in ply. To me, the diff between 3 and 4 ply for puncture resistance isn't all that big of a deal. Now 6 ply? Different story. But I don't think I'd ever use a 6 ply.
Is the number of ply(s) really that big of a difference? I'm going with a jakes or allsports long travel kit, and as I understand, they tend to smooth the ride out quite a bit.

Also upgrading to the double action rear leaf springs.

I don't want to vibrate to death, but I don't need a Cadillac either.

I have a John Deere farm tractor (1070 40hp) and punctured the front tire on one of those darn stalks sticking up from the brush hog. That was unusual and the first and only time, but still.. its a farm tractor..

Maybe I'll go with the 489's.. I don't want a Chinese product and I can't seem to find many choices in an American made tire in the 22 inch size.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:25 AM   #10
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murby View Post
I don't want a Chinese product
That is a wise move !!
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts