lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Charging question

I Had no idea Batteries were so complicated.
How long should the initial charge take???
I installed 6 new 8v Diehard batteries in my cart. the dash indicator said they were full. so I tested everything drove in in and out of garage a few times to work on it. In my fumbling around for info found a ton of info on Batteries and break in... So yesterday I reinstalled the onboard charger and plugged her in.
She has been running for almost 24 hours. The charger is supposed to light green and shut off when done, and it has not done that yet.
Should I be concerned or just wait it out?
Yes I checked and it is working/charging as it should.
(I know Diehard are not the best but my nephew was able to get me all 6 for $525 Manufacture date is August of 2020)

Brian
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2020, 07:04 PM   #2
Threeput
Gone Wild

Default Re: Charging question

Normally a chargers green light will pulse of and on while charging....at end of charge the green light stays on.....
Threeput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:54 AM   #3
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Threeput, Thank you for the response.
I ended up ditching the charger the cart came with (untrusted) and repurchased the same one from eBay. $55 I will link to the unit below this post.
I received the new one yesterday, I immediately unboxed and installed it.
Plugged her in and within a few hours the led lit green and the fan shut off as it is supposed to.
This now makes me feel better. I would hate to ruin the new batteries prematurely.
Brian

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-48-Volt...53.m2749.l2648
Old 12-03-2020, 06:58 AM   #4
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Another quick question:
I know I am supposed to store this fully charged.
My cart is sitting in my cold *** garage. I only turn the heat on when working in there.
Should I remove the Batteries and store them in my basement for the winter as to not have them freeze? I have a nice cart with wheels I could store them in so they can be moved around if needed.
Will this make a big difference?
Old 12-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

That charger you linked is only 6a, a real golf cart charger should be about 17a to properly charge your batteries. If your cart is in the garage and you charge it once a month during the winter months you will be good.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #6
Threeput
Gone Wild

A proper golf cart charger keeps the battery on a "Float" charge after it has been charged...in time the battery loses its charge..but the charger senses this and clicks in to bring the charge back up...then goes on float again...But they cost in the $300 range
It appears you have installed normal batteries..where golf cart batteries are 'Deep Cycle" batteries
Unlike a traditional car battery, deep-cycle batteries provide a long, steady stream of power. It can provide a short burst of power, but nothing like a car battery. Deep cycle batteries are also lead-acid batteries but they are designed to be discharged and recharged regularly.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
Threeput
Gone Wild

I just noticed that I am in the wrong section giving advice...I'm usually in EZGO RXV electric golf cart section..Don't know if my advice is appropriate for this section ..
sorry for any confusion
Old 12-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #8
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I do have Deep Cycle batteries, they just happen to be Die Hard golf cart, not one of the more popular brands.
The intended purpose of the cart is weekend driving around a camp site, I think this charger should be sufficient, Spending another $300 on a rapid/cart specific charger is just out of reach considering what I am spending to Restore/Customize this hunk of sh!t... I am installing a good meter (to keep from surpassing the safe depth of discharge) and I think two days of driving then an overnight charge until the next weekend should work out. when stored in the off season it is here at my home and maintained like my motorcycles. Hence the question of cold garage, I remove my bike batteries and store them in temp controlled area.
LOL.. And as far as being in the wrong area, electric carts are similar enough for me to take advice from other manufacture experience.
I do appreciate feedback on my questions/wonderings.
Brian
Old 12-03-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

What handtools was trying to explain is for golf cart batteries to charge correctly they need to be hit with greater than 15 amps initially to keep them up to capacity. The 6 amp is probably going to shorten their life substantially
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #10
Croqezgo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

KGSC is 100% right. That 6amp will not do. You can find great proper used chargers for $125 or so. You can easily change out plug ends to suit whatever type of receptacle you have. Don't ruin your new batteries. If you do just to save $125, you will lose many hundreds more.
Croqezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts