lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2023, 10:45 PM   #1
Nooney
Not Yet Wild

Default Conversion Help: MPT 1200 rear axle rotation

Does the EZGO MPT 1200 transaxle have a different gear ratio for forward and reverse? When I looked up the specs online it said has a 13.32:1 ratio. It doesn't say anything about having different rations for forward and reverse. The reason I ask is that I installed this rear end in my EZGO ST build with a CCW engine. The rear axle is installed in the same orientation as it came out of the donor cart. The rear axle shaft is on the passenger side. I am running a jackshaft setup to go from CCW to CW on the rear end. I was puzzled when I put the stock shifter in the cart and found that moving the shifter to forward puts it in reverse and vice versa. I am completely confused by this since I put it in the same way it came out of the donor cart. I went to a lot of trouble with this jackshaft setup to avoid running the axle in reverse but I appear to have done it anyway.

Any help or expertise is appreciated. Photos attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9732.jpg (25.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9730.jpg (25.2 KB, 0 views)
Nooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2023, 08:47 PM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Conversion Help: MPT 1200 rear axle rotation

According to the attached PDF, 11.42:1 (forward) and 15.78:1 (Reverse).
So yes, different ratios, and will end up 38% slower in reverse. I haven't messed much with the 2008and up EZGOs, but my recollection is that they rotate opposite of the Robin engines. Someone else would need to verify. If I am correct, your intended forward drive with that set up is reverse on that transaxle.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MPT1200Brochure.pdf (296.6 KB, 0 views)
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 09:49 PM   #3
Nooney
Not Yet Wild

I actually just found the same thing. How in the world do I have forward and reverse backwards? The 13 hp Kawasaki must spin CCW when looking at it from the passenger side. I thought because the shaft was on the passenger side if the transaxle that it needed to spin CW for forward gear. The funny thing is that I was going to flip it but decided on the jackshaft instead so I could swap gear ratios easily. I am so confused. If that is the case my whole build is messed up (again) and the jackshaft was a waste of time.

Ugh. What now? I guess I could flip the rear axle 180 degrees and use a torque converter with a backing plate in lieu of the jackshaft setup. Any other thoughts? I started out with an electric rear end but had to use a FNR gear box that reduced my ratio so much that it wouldn’t break 20 mph.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:06 PM   #4
Nooney
Not Yet Wild

I am reading that the 13 hp Kawasaki motor is a CW rotation, which is the direction I am turning the input shaft on the transaxle so it makes no sense why forward and reverse are backward. My jackshaft turns the CCW predator into a CW rotation on the passenger side, right?
Old 12-12-2023, 02:30 PM   #5
Nooney
Not Yet Wild

Not to keep jumping in my original post, but I confirmed with EZGO today that the rear axle came from a 2011 model MPT 1200 if that helps anyone.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:35 PM   #6
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quick easy way to determine if forward is forward, and reverse is reverse, assuming it is up and running is take it for a ride and see which direction moves the cart faster. Faster should be forward. Safer way is to simply count rotations of a wheel for every full rotation of the clutch. Open rear end might mess that up if only one wheel is rotating as it isn't a locked differential. More turns is forward. Is it possible the cable set up at the back of the gear shift isn't installed correctly? Maybe post a close up photo, bit larger image for us older folks. Upside down small images make it tough to decipher what is where. Unfortunately, I don't think I have an 08+ transaxle out back to even look at for reference. Another idea, if your shifter is from an older cart, and the transaxle is from a newer cart, likely they pushed/pulled in different directions...different setup, so either you need a newer style shift mechanism, or re-mount the cable on the transaxle so it pushes/pulls from the other side.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 04:07 AM   #7
Nooney
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: Conversion Help: MPT 1200 rear axle rotation

Thanks JponLKN. I will give that a shot when my new belt shows up tomorrow.
Old 12-23-2023, 09:56 PM   #8
Nooney
Not Yet Wild

I confirmed, it is definitely backwards. However, it runs almost 27 mph uphill in reverse so I am going to leave it be. After going almost 27 mph on this thing I don’t think I want to go much faster.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!