lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2020, 09:31 AM   #1
Grndpdllr
Not Yet Wild

Default Starting my Cushman

I'm having a problem starting my Cushman ,it has a snow blower attachment on it. What is the right way to start , choke and throttle position?
Grndpdllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2021, 11:25 PM   #2
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Starting my Cushman

I think you need to tell us more about your Cushman, like year, model, what engine, etc. Cushman had a long history of offering many different engines in their vehicles.

My 1987 Cushman Truckster with the 22 hp OMC engine now has an electric fuel pump. The original mechanical fuel pumps are now almost unobtanium, and if you do find one the rubber parts have or will soon go bad from age. I added the electric fuel pump myself. It's just a generic fuel pump purchased from ORiley Auto Parts. Because it's electric, to start my Truckster after it has been sitting for a few days/weeks, I now turn the key to "on" and let the fuel pump run for about 30 seconds. Then I pull the choke out, press the clutch in, and step down on the gas pedal to the floor one time and then hold it about half way down, and turn the key to "start" to engage the starter. Within less than 3 revolutions, the engine is usually running and I release the key from the start position. I also begin pushing in the choke knob a little at a time while listening to the engine firing. I also vary the gas pedal as needed to keep the engine running, but not over rev. If the engine begins to act like it's going to die, I pull the choke back out a little and let the motor warm up a bit more before I begin to push the choke knob in a little at a time again. I also let up on the gas pedal a little at a time until it is all the way out a little at a time as long as the engine is running well, until it idles fine and doesn't need to run faster than idle for it to run smooth. With the choke mostly all the way in, I usually begin using the Truckster, but continue pushing the choke in a little at a time as the engine warms up, until it is all the way in.

Usually, for the rest of the day, I can restart the engine by pressing the gas pedal slightly, turning the key to "on" for a few seconds, and then to "start" to engage the starter. Unless it is a very cold day, the engine will start within the first revolution and no choke is needed. If it's a very cold day and it doesn't start on this first try, I then pull the choke out at least 1/2 way and repeat the starting sequence.

My Truckster never started or ran as well before installing the electric fuel pump. This made a huge difference, but you need to remember to let it build up fuel pressure for a few seconds before trying to start the engine, whether it's hot or cold. When I rebuilt the Truckster engine and installed the electric fuel pump about 5 years ago, I also rebuilt the carburetor, replacing the float as well as the other normal rebuilding kit parts. Old plastic floats tend to absorb fuel over time, so they don't float at the same level any more, sometimes even causing fuel to run out of the float bowl vent. I have learned to just replace the carburetor float if the engine is more than about 15 years old. It's well worth doing. If the float sits even slightly deeper in the fuel, the engine will receive more fuel than it needs and not run well or flood out.

A search of my older posts from back about 5 years will show you photos of my Truckster and tell you more about OMC engines. The OMC Company owned Cushman in the 1980's and designed this engine specifically for the Cushman products. There were 3 different versions. An 18 hp two cylinder, a 22 hp two cylinder, and an 11 hp one cylinder. Most of the parts for these engines are interchangeable. The 18 & 22 hp have different cylinders, but the same pistons and rings. The 11 hp one cylinder is the same as 1/2 of the 22 hp two cylinder, but with a modified crankcase, plugging the hole for the non existing second cylinder. Just about everything else on these engines is the same.

Please tell us more about your Cushman. Add some photos too, if possible.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts