lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
Rodderrick
Not Yet Wild

Default Interested in buying a 2016 Yamaha Electric golf cart is this a good choice?

I have been looking at buying a used golf cart and have found a place which has some 2016 Yamaha Electric Golf Carts and I would like input as to whether or not you would recommend this or something else? Anything I should look for as far as positives or negatives are appreciated as well. Thank you in advance! What a way to make my first post!
Rodderrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Interested in buying a 2016 Yamaha Electric golf cart is this a good choice?

First, Welcome!

Second, any late model carts from Yamaha, Club Car or EZGO would be fine. All have an established dealer network and parts readily available. All are built in Georgia. This is generally not true when you stray from these 3 brands.

Currently electric golf carts are generally 48v with DC motors. Generally, they can be modified for more performance (speed and torque) if desired. Not cheap but not outrageously expensive either. I would suggest you look at 2012 or newer for all 3 brands but there are exceptions for specific models.

Batteries are a big deal in used carts. Average life is 4-6 years for WELL CARED FOR packs. Replacement packs (premium) are ~ $650 or higher in lots of places. Deception about the condition and age of packs in used carts is rampant. Assume the worst and don't take the sellers word for battery age.

Regarding the '16 Yammies you mentioned. The batteries in these carts are probably original so at BEST they are a third to a half used up. The cart should be discounted appropriately.
In 2016 Yamaha introduced an AC motored version of their golf cart along with the standard DC motored version. They look the same but the AC carts usually have a sticker that says AC on the side somewhere. EZGO also has an AC motored cart called the RXV. Both of these are substantially more powerful than the DC counterparts. If the 2016's you are looking at are AC I suggest you consider them seriously, at least I would. They hold speed much better on inclines. The downside on the AC Yamaha is the Toyota controller. While the EZGO controller can be "manipulated" the Toyota is locked down apparently.
However, with 20" tires and PTV code (and nothing else) the Yammie is a low to mid twenties cart.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:34 PM   #3
Rodderrick
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Interested in buying a 2016 Yamaha Electric golf cart is this a good choice?

Is there any way I can tell if this one is AC or DC? I have tried to research quite a bit and had read most of what you mentioned, thank you bye the way! The AC vs DC was the thing I did see but was unsure about? They both use the same battery pack from what I have read and I have tried to see if there was a way to figure this out. Any easy determining factors?
Old 10-19-2018, 03:24 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The AC Yamaha has "cooling fins" that can be seen by looking under the seat. About 2/3 towards the drivers side, behind the batteries. And if it has the original body, it says AC proudly on the stickers. Dc motor Yamahas don't have the heatsink ((and had to be ordered as the lower model, usually cheap fleets). Once the Yamaha AC models arrived, the DC version became the "cheaper model". While all EZGO RXVs are AC, it doesn't have any badge proclaming "AC" motor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #5
Rodderrick
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
The AC Yamaha has "cooling fins" that can be seen by looking under the seat. About 2/3 towards the drivers side, behind the batteries. And if it has the original body, it says AC proudly on the stickers. Dc motor Yamahas don't have the heatsink ((and had to be ordered as the lower model, usually cheap fleets). Once the Yamaha AC models arrived, the DC version became the "cheaper model". While all EZGO RXVs are AC, it doesn't have any badge proclaming "AC" motor.

So would you buy the DC version or avoid it, or does it even matter if I were going to change to the "Riot set up" eventually? They are asking about $3300 and they appear to be in good shape, with 12" wheels, tinted windshield, black seats and top, etc.?
Old 10-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Riot setup is not available in AC form, and I don't think there is a Alltrax that can plug into the AC Yamaha harness. I personally would go with the AC cart, in unmodified form, it's the most powerful cart on the market (it's power "right out of the box" would surprise you). then I would add the 10.5:1 gear set. This will get you just over 25mph, while still retaining great hill climbing power.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
Rodderrick
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I will find out if they are AC or DC. Thank you again for all your help, and I haven't even bought anything yet!

Last edited by Rodderrick; 10-19-2018 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: Updating
Old 10-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I believe you are doing this right. Many people go out and buy and old or older cart and then come here for advise on how to hop it up only to discover the cart they got is exactly the wrong one to meet their needs.

Research first. Then buy.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:39 PM   #9
Tha_B_Man
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I love my Yamaha but if I was in the market I would take a hard look at the EZGO ELiTE. These carts have lithium batteries and there are so many reasons why that’s a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tha_B_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha