lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Marty Mechanic
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default shareable popular engine mount templates for popular kart mods

I am needing engine mount template for my G9 Predator 420 mod and have found nothing but great photos of other mods...need the center to center measurements, engine offset measurements. (jackel440) has gorgeous photos but sadly no real measurements...to save hours of precious time... be nice to see a visit able library of popular kart mods with engine mount templates...rather than buying the expensive kits....we wanna bend the metal and weld it ourselves.....right guyz? This is where the fun and self satisfaction lies? Marty Mechanic Santa Cruz Ca.
Marty Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
Field6565
Gone Wild

Default Re: shareable popular engine mount templates for popular kart mods

I think if you download the owners manual off of Harbor freights website the measurements are in there.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:59 AM   #3
Marty Mechanic
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you Field6565....the best measurement I found by chance, is the base plywood the 420 engine ships with...perfect little template for the motor if you spray flat black down thru the mounting holes, cut the board on the spray lines on your band saw.... much easier for Grandpa than lifting that engine in and out 17 times... just lay the little wooden template on your mock ups!
but...this is not the complete G9 motor mount story!!! this is just the center to center of the mount bolts on the 420...the template I want...and every other big block G9 project guy wants is the "finished modded template"...with the right drops and off sets....it looks like each of us has to re invent the wheel when we do our motor swaps...rather I see a library of possible templates for each of the popular engine/cart combo's....we get stupendous close up photos from the builders but no engineering drawings.....oh well...I am reinventing the G9 420HF big block engine/cart mount...all by myself....that's right Honey!! I will provide the requisite drawing soon!!
Old 09-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Pretty good idea! That's essentially what I did, except I used a flat piece of sheet steel. Now I have a template for the.....uh....next build?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
Marty Mechanic
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Tnx slonomo.. raydhd told me about vegascart and they have the mount I need....
btw, did you "drop" the front of the mount, or did you just run it straight across to the rear mount?
Old 09-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Mechanic View Post
Tnx slonomo.. raydhd told me about vegascart and they have the mount I need....
btw, did you "drop" the front of the mount, or did you just run it straight across to the rear mount?
I had to drop the front of mine about 3 inches and raise the rear 3 to get the motor level. My cart has an 8 inch lift on it.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Yes I dropped the front of mine quite a bit. I made a pretty radical cradle that bolts to the swingarm frame. Then on top of that I used the VC Club Car engine mount so that it will adjust side to side and front to back. I am actually thinking of eliminating this so I can lower the engine a bit and shorten my belt. But it works great the way it is.

The bottom line is, you want to mount the engine in there as level as possible IMO. Using these carts off road means they are never level on the terrain, but you don't want it tilted too far for oiling reasons. If you hit a hill it's possible to starve the engine of oil if the angle is too radical. Level is best.

Edit: I know this is the Vtwin, but the principal is the same. Yes....I have switched from the VC440 to the Vanguard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141102_003855.jpg (237.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20141102_181801.jpg (200.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20141102_180241.jpg (300.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20141102_180308.jpg (298.6 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I kept the stock mounts. I put a car jack under there and set the clone on it. Put two bars across to bolt to, put a piece of tubing (square) under the gen mount to lower the front. Had to put a small piece of angle in back mount to lengthen it slightly. I welded it up. Set clone in there and marked holes, drilled, mounted it. Its in my build thread 'second clone....'. I use the stock belts.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps