lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
Desert Bill
Not Yet Wild

Default DPI Accusense Question

Since I have had some issues regarding excessive water usage in batts (hopefully, resolved), I do have a concern about this charger and need some enlightenment.

My concern is, since I am away from the cart 2-3 weeks at a time, should I use this charger, with constant plug in, and not worry about potential water loss issues? I am not sure how much gassing/water loss occurs during what I perceive as a "float/maintainer" charge, after batts are fully charged. I do understand heat and other atmospheric conditions contribute to water loss.

Since the jury is still out regarding my current charger, I have no qualms in investing in a new one.

Your thoughts?
Desert Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DPI Accusense Question

The float charge is a very low amperage charge, just enough to keep the batteries in a slightly elevated state but not enough to cause any gassing or significant loss of water.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Technically, electrolysis of the water in the electrolyte (gassing) occurs whenever there is current flow through the battery. However, the only time a significant amount of gassing occurs is when the current flowing is charging the battery and the On-Charge voltage is 2.35VPC (Volts per Cell) or greater.

In its highest voltage mode (US Battery), the DPI Accusense float charges at a regulated voltage of 2.21VPC, which is well below the gassing stage. For Exide it is 2.20VPC and for Trojan it is 2.19VPC. (I'm not sure what it is in the Full River mode since that is the AGM mode and I don't use AGM batteries.)

The pack is held at a constant voltage, so the current flow equals the self-discharge rate, plus any parasitic losses.

I've had a set of used T-105 batteries connected to a 36V DPI charger since July and they haven't used more than a pint of water between the six in six months.

During the same time period, my seven Exides have been connected to a 42V DPI when I wasn't out and about on the cart and used about a pint a month collectively when I was riding it most every day.

Which reminds me, I've got to check the fluid levels when it warms up a little around here.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Do you put cold water or warm water in your batteries?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Do you put cold water or warm water in your batteries?
Never do anything special other than taking steps to keep the distilled water from freezing.

In the summer, I keep a jug of distilled water and the filler bottle in the garage where the cart is kept, so it is about the same temp as the battery electrolyte. From late fall to early spring when the night temperature might get cold enough to freeze distilled water, I keep them in the house

I guess that means I use temperature neutral water in the summer and warm water in the winter.

Does it make a Difference?
Old 01-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Never do anything special other than taking steps to keep the distilled water from freezing.

In the summer, I keep a jug of distilled water and the filler bottle in the garage where the cart is kept, so it is about the same temp as the battery electrolyte. From late fall to early spring when the night temperature might get cold enough to freeze distilled water, I keep them in the house

I guess that means I use temperature neutral water in the summer and warm water in the winter.

Does it make a Difference?
Not that I know of ..... I was teasing.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Good one. I fell for it.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

I use kool aid.
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
TreeBass
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There's a filler bottle?
TreeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Yes, there is a kool aid filler bottle.......
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO