lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Default Replacement shock - 2 questions

I found a bent bottom post to my rear shock, nut was almost off and the post almost sideways. Anyway, after doing a little research I am thinking of replacing the shock and leaf springs since I will be there anyway. 6 inch lift.

Question 1 - if I go with a 3 leaf spring to help a little with rear seat but I don't want a buckboard ride or a 3 inch rake. Would a 3 spring be too stiff for normal riding around? I read somewhere that the 3 may raise the rear of the cart? It is already higher now, would it be worse?

Question 2 - replacing the about to break shock, do any of you that swap for Monroe or other auto shock, like it, hate it? I found the pdf and lots of suggestions that link to it but not many after purchases. Or just order a stock replacement set and call it good?
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Default Re: Replacement shock - 2 questions

Add on question, I have read on a site that sells HD rear leaf springs that says that the HD actually eliminates the rear shocks? Is this true? Only found that info on a single site so not sure what to think.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
BlackBerryHill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What is the primary use for your car? If it never leaves the pavement you probably won't need the heavier springs. A rear seat kit can add some pounds, but if people rarely ride back there heavier springs would be a waste of money.

Unless you regularly carry around a lot of weight you should stick with the factory shocks. Alternate shocks might seem like a good idea, but remember that your cart is not that heavy.

I don't know why a site would say you don't need shocks if you run the hd springs. Have you ever ridden in a truck with worn out shocks? Put on a set of factory spec shocks and you will be much happier.
BlackBerryHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
BlackBerryHill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I should have asked what cart you have. Also, you might consider adjustable rear shocks like those used on ATVs. Adjustable shocks will allow you to tailor the ride according to the use.
BlackBerryHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Thanks, well I actually found 2 sites that say you don't need the shocks with the HD leaf springs, now and talked to someone that said he heard of it, but never did it.

As far as use, I never really thought I would use the rear seat that much, but I have had it since January, and I would guess over half of the times the cart has moved, there has been someone jump on the back to go ride too, so as of last night, I ordered the new shocks, with a set of what I consider the semi HD 3 leaf springs for the rear. Riding consists of about 50% on the road, 40% gravel road or pasture, and the other 10% seeing what I can get into.

As for the adjustable, I think that is the route I am going to go for the front when I get around to it, but with an almost broken rear shock, they got ordered.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts