lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Rebuild, series or regen?

I have a 95 CC DS 48V(6X8V) regen cart that I am going to do a total rebuild on but don't know which way to go, Series or Regen. It will be used mostly for light off-road and hunting. I will lift it but don't want to go bigger than 20-22" tires. I don't even know if the controller or OBC works because the batteries are shot. Is there a way to test the controller with a DMM? It is a GE CC black T-shaped controller. I think to convert to a series, the controler and F/R switch are the 2 biggest changes, right? I do have access to a series motor. You guys who have done this many times please help! This is my first build so I need lots of help. Any advice or suggestions will be very helpful.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Rebuild, series or regen?

AS your cart is first year of regen ( lots of early model problems ) and first year of a solid state pedal control ( NOW OBSOLETE ) and you are going to rebuild it any way I would go series and use a Curtis PB-6 like pedal control connected to existing linkage. This is my personal opinion because you will be using it under non golf cart conditions and with lift and larger tires you are loading the stock system beyond its designed capacity. There is a way to test controller off cart but is some what involved. You might want to look at Curtis site ( Curtis Instruments.com ) and look up controllers by your unit number and then click on ( manual ) that gives you tons of info.
To convert to series you would need motor ( note if you can find a good 36 volt series motor use it as its just like a higher HP motor on 48 volts and YES IT CAN HANDLE 48 volts with no problems ), controller, PB-6, basic F&R control and of course 4 gauge wiring through out. By going to "search" and type in conversions for great info.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks MEC,

I have located a 36V series motor and that is my plan. 4G wire throughout will also be a done. Should I also use an HD silinoid? As for the controller, do you have a recommendation? Brand, amps ect?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I always go with a HD 200 amp AMERICAN MADE ( IF YOU CAN FIND ONE? )solenoid as quality seems to be dropping and hopefully a HD unit will outlast a standard and besides with extra load you will be putting with lift, etc beyond the 70-100 amp of standard?
As to controller I like and use ALLTRAX whenever possible and would go with a NPX 4834 ( 300 amp ) as minimum and if you could afford it a NPX 4844 ( 400 amp ). These are both for stock motors only and are not programable and I feel are best buy for the money. You can get wild and go with a programable unit like the AXE 4834 ( 300 amp ) or AXE 4844 ( 400 amp ) but unless you want to be changing controls and load limits, minimum cut offs, etc I wouldnt spend the extra money personally.
NOTE be sure and have new Alltrax pre-programed for you type of pedal pot ( example Curtis PB-6 is a 0-5 ohm unit ) ( your stock obsolete unit is 5-0 ohms )
Old 10-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Rebuild, series or regen? UPDATED PICS!

cart 008.jpg (115.4 KBcart 009.jpg (118.1 KB)
cart 012.jpg (107.7 KB)cart 014.jpg (94.4 KB)
cart 011.jpg (101.4 KB)

I have updated with pics. This is my first attempt at posting a pic so I hope it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart 008.jpg (115.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg cart 009.jpg (118.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg cart 012.jpg (107.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg cart 014.jpg (94.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg cart 011.jpg (101.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Right on you found the combo to post pictures.
#1 pic is Club Car obsolete pedal pot control assembly ( last year was still after market available for about $275.00 ) Looks like you have second series pedal casting ( 45 degree offset rather than straight ) and return spring assembly so with pedal modifications you could also go with MCOR as replacement ( after market conversion kit was about $250.00 ), also needed for PB-6 installation ) Either way you need to replace with ( two ) accelerator bearing bracket assemblies CC number 1011694 ( your has only one I think and from crack in housing looks like its badly worn? )
#2 location for series style F&R control ( same existing 4 bolt holes used )
#3 poor location for solenoid ( should have wheel well shield installed or better yet move to inside of frame location of where regen? solenoid is now located )
#4 pic of obsolete "T" shaped CC ( Curtis ) controller ( surprised it worked this long )
#5 looks like old style OBC ( replacement by much better newer style unit )
Old 10-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Old Mec,
Pic one is a pot box...right, and he will replace with another potentiometer box or v-glide....?
Can he use a stock curtis 225 controller from a 95 ccds...cause I have one, if he wants it.
How does he get down to one solenoid or is it necessary?
Colbyntx and I have been pm'ing, I'm trying to help him with some of my old parts, if they'll work.
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for all your help so far guys! I wish I could run out and buy all the parts I need right now but darn, these 3 kids and wife cost too much! lol We will get her together like Johnny Cash did, "one piece at a time".
Old 10-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

PM Sent
Old 10-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

OLD MEC, PM not there?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car