lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #21
PJay
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New Guy Here - Getting Ready for Alltrax400 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I cannot imagine not having an easy to access USB cable to play with the settings in the Controller.

I got a 10ft long USB-B to USB-A cable plugged to the Contoller that comes up on the right side of my dash.

I keep the cable coiled and capped in the dash compartment where I can easily pull out to plug to my laptop.
So are you saying it is OK to leave the cable plugged into the controller at all times? If I understand you correctly, a great idea!
PJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #22
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes it okay to operate the controller with the usb cable connected to the controller all the time. We did this for many months when the controllers first came out, once we learned the settings there was no need for it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #23
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I actually bought a panel mounted USB-B connector since a USB-A port could lead to unsuspected devices being plugged.

I decided not to drill the dash to mount the USB-B port and just coiled up a 12ft or so long cable that I can plug straight to the laptop.

I used a piece of 3/4" heat shrink tube over the USB-A connector that I shrunk a section about 1" long over the cable in order to keep the "sleeve" captive over the connector and about 1" beyond.

When I want to use it, I just slide the sleeve off the USB-A and back over the cable.

There are periodic Controller firmware updates and even motor maps updates are not uncommon.

You can use the Alltrax monitor to diagnose future issues with batteries, motor , cables, throttle, etc...

You can save logs to help you understand what happens to your cart during diagnostic tests.

As mentioned, don't leave a USB cable anywhere near the battery pack since a simple careless mistake can lead to an expensive fix, but a not obvious cable near the dash for Controller access is pretty handy.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #24
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If everybody took as much care as you do - I wouldn't even post such warnings.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:57 PM   #25
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If everybody took as much care as you do - I wouldn't even post such warnings.
If we were as sharp Sergio you would not have any business.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:09 PM   #26
Schwags
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks! Got the controller and solenoid mounted and wired. Had to make some room as it was tough to get back the stupid club car plate back into position. I think I am going to make a custom splash guard back there and remove the factory one.

One thing the cart worked right off the bat - and off course the wires were backwards. Reverse went forward and forward went reverse. I then switched those cables and forward did not work. Then decided to check all the wires everything looked good. Hooked up the charger for 5 min, then removed the charger and forward was working.

The kit came with a large fuse - I forgot to put that in. Is this a critical piece?
Schwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #27
Schwags
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Also it was a massive improvement on torque and speed. Took it for a ride and it was definitely going 23-25mph on a long straight away.

Thanks for the tips
Old 11-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Alltrax offers a 2 year warranty and a fuse. The warranty is void if the fuse is not installed. So yeah, I would put it on.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #29
wcooper12
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default New Guy Here - Getting Ready for Alltrax400 Upgrade

Quote:
Be careful doing this - the Alltrax controller is protected from high amperage shorts on the input and output but the circuit board is not protected if this usb touches anything in the battery pack. A short on the usb is only way I know of to kill the controller. I understand that the Club Car location is a PIA to get to and having an exposed usb is desirable but, please be careful.
Just to clarify, the USB port on the controller has approximately 1 amp of protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wcooper12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #30
Schwags
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Alltrax offers a 2 year warranty and a fuse. The warranty is void if the fuse is not installed. So yeah, I would put it on.
Thanks for the heads up!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car