lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2018, 01:31 AM   #11
1sharphook

Default Re: New Guy Here - Getting Ready for Alltrax400 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcooper12 View Post
Install an A-male to B-male USB extension cable.
Have you ever though about what might happen to your controller if your "convenient" extension cable end accidentally touches a positive battery post?
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2018, 05:06 AM   #12
wcooper12
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default New Guy Here - Getting Ready for Alltrax400 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
Have you ever though about what might happen to your controller if your "convenient" extension cable end accidentally touches a positive battery post?

I think about it the same way I think about shorting any other wire, ensure it doesn’t happen. Cover adjacent terminals during installation and cap the end or install a panel mount usb connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wcooper12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:10 AM   #13
1sharphook

Quote:
I think about it the same way I think about shorting any other wire, ensure it doesn’t happen. Cover adjacent terminals during installation and cap the end or install a panel mount usb connector.
If you wish to ensure it doesn't happen, perhaps you should reconsider recommending male to male extension cables.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:08 AM   #14
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
If you wish to ensure it doesn't happen, perhaps you should reconsider recommending male to male extension cables.
As long as the user understands the risk of any wiring matter, knowing they have options is much better than not knowing.

MHO
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Install an A-male to B-male USB extension cable. It’ll make it easier for adjusting parameters on the controller. Also make sure you have some sort of weatherproof cover for the cable end or flush mount an adapter. Just remember to take your time and do it right the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Be careful doing this - the Alltrax controller is protected from high amperage shorts on the input and output but the circuit board is not protected if this usb touches anything in the battery pack. A short on the usb is only way I know of to kill the controller. I understand that the Club Car location is a PIA to get to and having an exposed usb is desirable but, please be careful.

For Club Car we offer the Alltrax factory install kit ($15-25). This kit comes with a template and comprehensive install instruction seen here > https://alltraxinc.com/wp-content/up...torial-WEB.pdf
I recommend this kit for any first time installer.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #16
Schwags
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks all - I have the All Trax installation kit so I should be good. Like scotty said the access to the controller is PIA!

If I do the USB cord I suppose I could tape it up or maybe zip tie it down low with some of the other wiring.
Schwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #17
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I cannot imagine not having an easy to access USB cable to play with the settings in the Controller.

I got a 10ft long USB-B to USB-A cable plugged to the Contoller that comes up on the right side of my dash.

I keep the cable coiled and capped in the dash compartment where I can easily pull out to plug to my laptop.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #18
Schwags
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sergio - good idea. I think I will do that so its easy to get to. Reading a lot of posts it looks like people have to bust out their lap top a few times for troubleshooting. I would hate to keep pulling batteries or panels off every time!

Appreciate it
Schwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #19
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

https://www.amazon.com/ICESPRING-Fem...pIL&ref=plSrch

This could be modified to work.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #20
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwags View Post
Thanks all - I have the All Trax installation kit so I should be good. Like scotty said the access to the controller is PIA!

If I do the USB cord I suppose I could tape it up or maybe zip tie it down low with some of the other wiring.
If I had that male connection out there, I'd likely take a female connector, cut the end wires and fill up the end with GOOP glue. Then I could just plug in the female connector "piece" and it would protect that open male plug.

I also would zip tie it to something to keep it away from lurking danger.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car