lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
burly2003
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV cart just up and stops with heater turned on

I have a 2010 RXV cart with an electric PSC Inc. heater. When using the heater after a dozen holes or so the car will just up and stop. It will not move. Shut the heater off and cycle the key switch and it goes again. Turn the heater back on runs a couple of holes then same result. I have wired as per their intructions.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
burly2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV cart just up and stops with heater turned on

Sounds like your battery pack voltage is dropping below the minimum for the controller. Do you have a voltmeter? You'll need to measure pack voltage to verify this. An on-board SOC meter (voltmeter) from ScottyB would come in handy right about now.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Time for an inverter is what I would say. If you have singled out a battery to get 12 volts RXV's are tempermental about the voltage of the batteries. I never had issues with my cart before I installed an inverter but only ran head lights and tail lights and was always charging the singled out battery independently. A lot of trouble to always monitor the battery pack. Get an inverter and simplify your life. GolfCartKing has them for a reasonable price.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
burly2003
Not Yet Wild

I am sorry I do not follow? How does the inverter fix my problem?
burly2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerj7907 View Post
Time for an inverter is what I would say. If you have singled out a battery to get 12 volts RXV's are tempermental about the voltage of the batteries. I never had issues with my cart before I installed an inverter but only ran head lights and tail lights and was always charging the singled out battery independently. A lot of trouble to always monitor the battery pack. Get an inverter and simplify your life. GolfCartKing has them for a reasonable price.

His heater is 36v or 48v depending on model, he doesn't need a voltage reducer. The heater is capable of 1000 watts so I believe he's getting a high voltage drop. Might have a weak battery but without voltage readings I can't say.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Jerj7907 first ask if the heater was powered by one of the four 12V batteries.
If so a 48V to 12V DC-DC converter might help by running the heater from all four 12V rather than just one.

If you have a 48V heater made by PSC Inc, the converter won't help with the heater issue.
However, it is a good idea if you do have 12V accessories that are attached to just one of the four 12V in the battery pack.

-----------
The 48V PSC heater is a 1000W unit, so it draws about 21A @ 48V.
The stock batteries in a RXV are 140AH, so the heater alone will discharge the 48V battery pack to 50% Soc in about 6 hours.
Then you toss in the Amps used while driving the cart.

I'm not sure what the Under-Volt shutdown is for a RXV controller, or how long it take you to play 18 Holes, or the topography of the course, but if you are running that heater continuously on the 1000W setting, more than 9 hole without a recharge may be asking more from your cart than it can deliver.

Running it at the 500W setting and/or running it intermittently will extend the range.

Also, higher Amp-Hour 12V batteries will help and going to a 6 X 8V battery pack with the highest AH 8V batteries available will help even more.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO