lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
br0dy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2002 vs a 1995 Gas Yamaha- worth an extra $525? (Potential buyer...)

Hi, all! I'm in the market for a golf cart, and this guy at a golf cart dealer has two available that I need some advice on which would be better, or are both overpriced?

First is a 1995 Yamaha, good condition, says tires/brakes/steering is fine, for $975.

The second is a 2002 gas Yamaha in good condition for $1500.

Question: is there really a $525 difference between a 1995 and a 2002? Is it way easier to find parts/get repairs for a 2002? Is it HARD to find parts/get repairs for a 1995 cart?

If you were me, would you buy either, or just keep looking for something cheaper? $1500 would be a big stretch for me and I'm not sure it's worth it.

EDIT: I just asked the guy about if he does tune-ups for the carts there, and he said: "We run them through the shop and do a full service on them. It includes engine, clutches, steering and brakes."
br0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: 2002 vs a 1995 Gas Yamaha- worth an extra $525? (Potential buyer...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by br0dy View Post
Hi, all! I'm in the market for a golf cart, and this guy at a golf cart dealer has two available that I need some advice on which would be better, or are both overpriced?

First is a 1995 Yamaha, good condition, says tires/brakes/steering is fine, for $975.

Question: is there really a $525 difference between a 1995 and a 2002? Is it way easier to find parts/get repairs for a 2002? Is it HARD to find parts/get repairs for a 1995 cart?

If you were me, would you buy either, or just keep looking for something cheaper? $1500 would be a big stretch for me and I'm not sure it's worth it.
The 1995 would most likely be a G14, not the best Yamaha ever made. The 2002 would be a G16 and you can do great things with it and $1500 is a fair price. I'd go with the G16 if...the the engine doesn't smoke or sound real noisy and second, if you hear a "growling noise from the rear end or feel a vibration in the seat of your pants when driveing it"..then walk away. Good luck on your adventure, buying one is just the start
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: 2002 vs a 1995 Gas Yamaha- worth an extra $525? (Potential buyer...)

G16 Much more powerful engine. And really a great cart all around. Tuned up right and these will RUN!

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Wynelocked
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have an older G2 I paid $1000. for 8 years ago.I've never regretted it.I fokked it up myself by not checking the oil.I rebuilt it myself for less than $400.I still have it an it runs great.With the governor mod...it runs 25mph...which it plenty fast for me.Never hits the rev limiter.

Thanks to Davebigblock for keeping me in shape.
Wynelocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
br0dy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, sounds like the 2002 is the way to go, if I do it. Only problem is it's 4 hours away.

Also, I found a dealer closer to me (2 hours away rather than 4 hours) who has a 1997 Club Car with a rear-seat package already added, for $1200. Maintained as part of their rental fleet (rather than having lived on a golf course for its entire life, like the yamahas), serviced regularly, in good shape, etc.

I'm considering that one also, since having 4 seats would be nice. Thoughts?
br0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
Dlcain
Gone Completely Insane

Club Car

My Motto is don't buy something you know your not going to like or be happy with. I paid $1300 for mine originally with no mods. Did I pay to much? Yes! Do I care? No! Do I like my golf cart? Hail yeah!
Dlcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! Yeah, sounds like the 2002 is the way to go, if I do it. Only problem is it's 4 hours away.

Also, I found a dealer closer to me (2 hours away rather than 4 hours) who has a 1997 Club Car with a rear-seat package already added, for $1200. Maintained as part of their rental fleet (rather than having lived on a golf course for its entire life, like the yamahas), serviced regularly, in good shape, etc.

Dude, your in the YAMAHA section. You ask us about CLUB CARS? Naturally, our answer will be no. Don't buy the club car. Buy one of the Yamaha's....
stuff4mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:

EDIT: I just asked the guy about if he does tune-ups for the carts there, and he said: "We run them through the shop and do a full service on them. It includes engine, clutches, steering and brakes."

Quote:

Not sure where you are, but those are all some great buys from what I have seen, if they are in good shape.
Just this year, I have bought two G16a's, a 99 and a 97 for almost what you are paying for the 02.
HemiED is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha