lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: trailer help?

Here is what I am working with: I showed the pencil with the mesh so you can see it is kinda heavy duty ?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...1&d=1210526399
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...1&d=1210526418
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1795.jpg (118.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1796.jpg (114.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1797.jpg (92.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1798.jpg (80.3 KB, 33 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

A lot of farm trailers here in the S.E. use 2" rough sawn oak for floors. It is very strong but would have to be replaced every 5-6 years. You need to put some heavy duty fenders on that trailer. Something heavy enough to rest material on as you work it onto trailer.
I had a 5X8 trailer before I bought my cart. It has the expanded metal on with it cross members every 12". It has held up well so far for me, but if I replace floor anytime soon, I will use oak or Pressure treated pine.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I saw some other trailers with mesh and supports like 12" apart. Of course, there are different gauges of mesh. I got the high rib which is stronger than the flat stuff. But I can't stress enough how not good wood is in this desert type environment. We don't put it on houses for siding we use stucco (concrete) and it doesn't last real long for fences even with paint...Thanks for your help.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #14
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

How about using the expanded metal AND a layer of 3/4" PT Plywood? Should distribute the load real nice and is easily replaceable when necessary.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #15
nothinbutalittle
Not Yet Wild

Hello,
I build trailers for a living.In my years of building,I've found the cheapest(if you already have mesh on hand) and strongest method is mesh floor with pieces of metal (angle iron or channel,channel being stronger) running in between the crossmembers measuring the center of your tires.This way,your tires will be on a solid surface at all times.You can strap it down without putting pressure on the mesh,and if you need to spray your cart off ,the dirt and water will go through the mesh and not be soaking in the wood.Hope this might help you.
nothinbutalittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:16 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That's what I had planned. I got some 3 " channel to 2 cross members. I have some square tube 1x2 to run front to back between the cross members.
I can always add more supports underneath where the wheels are usually parked. Hope to work on this some more this weekend but forecast is for 101 degrees. Shhesh! Time to hide in the AC and watch baseball.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:05 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have been working on the trailer a little at a time. I took everyone's advice and put something solid under the wheels and left the mesh to the center and middle areas. Basically I used what scrap diamond plate I had collected from various electrical vault lids etc. I got some new fenders w/ backs ($19 each) from a guy in Fla. I am building a 5 ft. ramp gate and hope to get it on there soon. The hope is that a 5 ft. ramp will eliminate the belly scraping broblem when loading carts with a flat tire or whatever. I hauled the XRT Carryall2 on it and all went well. Thanks for your input.
Here are some updated pics.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...1&d=1214193349
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2090.jpg (83.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2093.jpg (83.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2096.jpg (94.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1925.jpg (74.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-22-2008, 11:23 PM   #18
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Looks good scotty! Nice carryall.
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:38 AM   #19
cwayaustx
Gone Wild
Club Car

If you can afford it, diamond plate is the way to go. It is lighter than wood, last forever with a good coat of paint, and plenty strong enough to do the job. There might not be enough difference in weight in your smaller trailer to be noticable, but my first car hauler had 2x12 planks, now I have a diamond plate bed and it is a world of difference going down the highway, I will never buy another wood bed trailer. If you are building this to last I would definately price a sheet, 1/8 inch should be sufficient, depending on your bracing. Wood or diamond plate, whatever you do don't use the mesh. I've seen too many utility trailers with just mesh ramps and side rails that were falling apart.
cwayaustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the advice. As for ramps and side walls that are falling apart that sounds like a construction or maintenance issue. If stuff is loose? Drag out the welder and re-glue it!?

We made some ramp hinges out of 3/4 rod (pin) and 3/4 iron pipe (gas).
I am working on a spring lift .... 5 x 6 ft Gate weights about 100#
Any one know if one or two of these are neccessary for this size ramp?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...1&d=1214398118
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2110.jpg (104.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2112.jpg (41.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2116.jpg (96.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2120.jpg (51.3 KB, 6 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center