lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2017, 07:16 AM   #1
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Turn Indicators, horn, mirrors & USB ports my way

If you don't need to buy a complete deluxe lighting kit to be road legal but still want the basics, there is a cheaper way.

I have just added a turn signal arm, turn signals, mirrors and four USB ports for little money from internet purchases. The turn signal arm is a beauty - it is manufactured by Monarch in Germany and is made for the Mercedes Unimog. It has low beam, high beam, high beam flash, left indicator, right indicator and horn. There is no self-cancelling so it is nice and simple for the cart. It is very high quality as you'd imagine for that market. They were very quick with the postage too. This is the item that I bought http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222019017...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT but look for the same thing on ebay.com and it will list in USD. It was about US$30 ($45 with postage) which I thought was a bargain for that item. It doesn't quite fit the steering column (it is just too big). You could grind it down a little but I just bought some flat rubber matting (about 1/8" - 3/16" thick) from our equivalent of Lowes and fitted that under it. It fits perfectly and the rubber holds it very firmly.

The mirrors I got from China. They are good quality and have the indicator LEDs built in. The only downside with these is that the LEDs are supposed to be visible from the front and back of the mirror. They're good on the mirror side but not quite so good on the back of the mirror (facing the front of the cart). As mirrors they are good with a good big picture of what is behind you. I fitted them fairly high (just below where the top mount of the windshield is) because that is comfortably about head high when you're sitting in the cart. They can also fold easily if your parking space is tight. The ones I got were http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301991355...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and were US$35 for the pair with free postage.

The rear LED indicators are made to be amber side lights on a van or truck. I just wanted something small and mounted them high in the roof so that they would not be hidden by golf clubs or whatever. They just came from a local supplier.

The cables were all fairly easily routed through the front and rear uprights for the roof.

The USB ports are about US$8 with free shipping, again from China. They are really good quality from what I can see. These are the ones I got http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/282286553...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. They are easily removed from the mounting plate and can be mounted individually, as I have done.

Here are some pictures to see them all in situ.

Picture 1 & 2: the indicator arm (I haven't bothered with a steering column cover)
Picture 3 & 4: the mirrors with built-in indicators
Picture 5 & 6: the rear indicator lights
Picture 7: routing the cable from the rear lights through an existing drain hole
Picture 8 & 9: the interior showing the USB outlets.

yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Turn Indicators, horn, mirrors & USB ports my way

You have a name or part number on those led indicators?
What did the cost and the size of them?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

I got a pair for the equivalent of US$13 from http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/262363697...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT but I'm sure you'd be able to get them from somewhere in the US more easily and with free postage. Just do a search for "12V Amber LED Oval Side Marker Clearance Lights Indicators". These ones only have two LEDs whereas the more expensive ones have a greater number. They are fully sealed and waterproof too.

For example I just did that search on ebay.com and got a whole page of them including this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Amber-...RYRc2q&vxp=mtr for 10 units.

I must admit I was surprised at the cost of some of the US ones. The Chinese stuff is pretty good these days if you don't mind buying outside the good ol' US of A and they usually have free postage.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:04 AM   #4
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
I must admit I was surprised at the cost of some of the US ones. The Chinese stuff is pretty good these days if you don't mind buying outside the good ol' US of A and they usually have free postage.
I totally agree with you, it is incredible what we can find on AliExpress for instance, there is really high quality stuff (and bad i suppose).

Amusing, I found there the exact same turn/light/horn arm you installed (is it really made in Germany?), but for half the price (delivered). I installed it on one of my friend's cart and I am a bit jalous, I have myself the original Yamaha I had for a good price on eBay, but I prefer his...

Again, there is so much choice as well, so many models, for lights (light/turn/stop), LED or bulbs... The only thing, it can take 3 weeks to receive but you have the model you REALLY want.

Any little trouble, even sometimes limit, and I was reimbursed
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:50 AM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Nice yawood!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sformal View Post
Amusing, I found there the exact same turn/light/horn arm you installed (is it really made in Germany?)
Yes I believe that it is. The package was certainly posted in Germany and the tracking showed it moving from Germany to Australia. I didn't look closely to see a Made in Germany notice on it but I'm pretty sure it is.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #7
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

How bright are the marker lamps at night?
What headlight n tail lights are you running?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't have any lights at this stage. I was not trying to build a road legal cart and I don't plan on driving it at night so I'm not bothering with lights for now. I have installed the wires for lights from the indicator arm so that I don't have to pull anything apart later if I want to put them in.

I live on a golf course estate and only drive on the road for about 1/2 a mile to get to the course from the house. We don't need to be road legal to do that (at this stage anyway, unless they change the legislation). I wanted mirrors and indicators just to make it a bit safer while I did that short trip.

Those indicators (really side marker lights for a van) have only two LEDs in each of them so they are not super bright but certainly enough to be noticeable as they flash, even in the day. It's easy to get slightly bigger ones with more LEDs if you need them to be brighter.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:06 AM   #9
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

If anyone decides to get one of the Monarch indicator switches that I described, it does not come with any wiring diagrams or information. A bit of investigation with the multimeter revealed the following connections for it.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:25 AM   #10
Dennisneri
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

MONARK TURN SIGNAL SWITCH no longer available on ebay anyways
Dennisneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car