lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2017, 06:26 PM   #1
Ms506s
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Power drive 3 charger - battery light

My club car ds 1998 battery light is on. I have just installed the altrax 48500 controller, hd f&r switch and new solenoid. I had no problems until this weekend ironically when we got slammed by hurricane irma in Naples, Florida. I took the cart out, ran nice and fast, since the battery light came on it has been unable to get a charge. I was able to use the cart two days before, moving stuff into the house with the cart, charging over night and repeating.

My thoughts - I thought the cart had an OBC that went through the hole from the batteries to the back area where the controller, solenoid and motor is. When we re-wired the cart with 2 awg wire, there was no terminal or anything that looked like an obc. I am wondering if there is a wire that is maybe missing, loose or what to look for. The power drive 3 charger turns on after two-three seconds after plugging in, 15 on the battery charger meter is what it reads and stays on. When I check it later, the battery light is on.

Any ideas or where to start? Batteries are also 3 years old, filled up and checked weekly.
Ms506s is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #2
Ms506s
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Power drive 3 charger - battery light

So far, I have what I think resettled the controller. Turned key off, put it in N, disconnected the battery - terminal to controller. Turned key on, put in reverse and held down the throttle for 5 mins. Reversed all steps. I plugged in the charger, turned on like normal, it has been 15 mins and it is stil running at 15 amps. I went out to check, it is still on battery light isn't on, it did make a little click but still was charging.

I am going to borrow a volt meter tomorrow to check what I have going on. If anyone has any other input let me know.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
Ms506s
Gone Wild
Club Car

After 30 seconds, charger turns off, battery light comes back on... I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the negative cable does not go through the obc, the charger and the warning light will behave as you described.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
Ms506s
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
If the negative cable does not go through the obc, the charger and the warning light will behave as you described.
Sergio, I am not sure where the OBC is on the cart. It looks like that there is yellow box that the original wire went through, however there is no terminal or anything there from the previous wiring. I recently wired the cart to a new altrax controler, the battery negative is going straight to the terminal on the controller. So where is the OBC? It was working fine before with the same wiring set up I have now.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The powerdrive 3 charger does not work without the OBC, it looks like this:

If the cable without the lug does not fit through the hole, You will need to build a "stud" using a 5/16" x 3-1/2" brass bolt:

Old 09-15-2017, 08:28 PM   #7
Ms506s
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:

If the cable without the lug does not fit through the hole, You will need to build a "stud" using a 5/16" x 3-1/2" brass bolt:

I definitely don't have that. But it worked fine which is weird, at least so I thought it did. Because the only thing that looks like a hole and in which where the old cable went through there was no "stud" So if I put that stud there and connect the two, it still needs to go through the OBC right. So my question now is the cart has to have an OBC, the question is where. Let me see if I have some pics
Old 09-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
Ms506s
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:

I definitely don't have that. But it worked fine which is weird, at least so I thought it did. Because the only thing that looks like a hole and in which where the old cable went through there was no "stud" So if I put that stud there and connect the two, it still needs to go through the OBC right. So my question now is the cart has to have an OBC, the question is where. The Serial Number is A9842-706549
Old 09-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The negative wire from the charger receptacle and the gray "sense" wire from the receptacle go to the OBC, just follow those wires.

The "stud" is what you need to build, the original 6ga cable that someone cut off did fit through the OBC hole.

There is no way a Powerdrive charger could have worked without the pack negative cable going through the OBC.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #10
Ms506s
Gone Wild
Club Car

Here are some pics I just got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4743.jpg (106.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4745.jpg (93.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4747.jpg (113.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car