lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #1
barkman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Help trouble shoot electrical problem

My dad was installing a voltage reducer for lights on a 2009 Precedent 48 volt Club car (SER# PH0937-053662). He connected the voltage reducer to the batteries reverse polarity, When he turned the light on the head lights flashed once, and the tail lights would turn on with the switch.

Then he removed the voltage reducer, but the cart will not move, when he put it in reverse the you just hear a short beep from the buzzer, and the solenoid doesn't click.

I have been reading the forums to find how to trouble shoot the problem, i found how to check the solenoid, i am not sure how to check the controller.

I could use some tip on what to check. i couldn't find a wire diagram for a 2009, does anyone know where i can find one? sorry for all the questions this is the first electric cart he has owned and we are not familiar with it.

Thanks Ron
barkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Help trouble shoot electrical problem

If he did not put the cart in TOW and take the main neg. and the main pos. battery cables off before working on the voltage reducer. Really high odds he blew the controller. They really don't like sparks.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
barkman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If the controller is burnt would the solenoid still click when you push on the throttle? and is there a way to test the controller?
Old 04-29-2015, 10:54 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Sometimes it will. Depends on what part inside the controller burn out. I had one click and tried to move. It just move very little with wheel off the ground. New controller and that took care of it.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:17 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is a wiring diagram for a 2009 Excel cart:

2009-2010 Excel Wiring Diagram

Look at the bottom of the diagram near the tow/run switch, that 15amp fuse is most likely blown.

Reversing the voltage converter by itself would only have destroyed the converter, but running the trigger wire to the key switch probably shorted it out when was turned on and took the fuse out.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:28 AM   #6
barkman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
barkman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Did some checking today, the 15amp fuse is good, there is another fuse i found it has a red wire with a yellow cover it's 500MA fuse 250volt it show resistance, usually a fuse is open or close.

I checked to positive side of the solenoid it has 50volts with the negative on the battery. I checked the negative side of the solenoid to negative of the battery, there is resistance there, its not closed.

when you push the throttle down there is nothing that clicks. There is no buzzer when you put it in reverse.

When we plug the charger in it doesn't seem to do anything.

Not sure what else to check now.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

There are more fuses to check...get the wiring schematic for your cart and find and check all the fuses.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:06 PM   #9
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Undo the dash and make sure you have 48volts at the keyswitch. Measured to the #6 battery neg connection. I suspect that when you removed the converter you didn't put something back together right and killed power to everything.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
barkman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have the wiring diagram i can only find the one 15amp fuse, I cant find the yellow one i was talking about on the diagram.

there is 50 volts at the key switch.

If the switch is in reverse and you go from tow to run i get anywhere from 1-4 short beeps, but the cart will not move.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car