lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
ramblin-wreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default voltage reducer switch help!

I've decided on a voltage reducer rather than an extra battery to power my lights and radio. However I'm a little worried about leaving the reducer hot all the time so I want to add a simple switch/disconnect on the 48v positive wire leading from the pack into the reducer. I'm sure someone has done this so I could sure use some help on what switch to use. Also will an 18 amp reducer be enough for the basicc precedent light package and a simple 2 speaker stereo system?
ramblin-wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: voltage reducer switch help!

Search the threads for a relay that is wired to your ignition switch. That will turn on and off with the key switch. If you want just a toggle switch, get a water proof or marine covered type switch that can handle the amps.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
loneranger404
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I went thru a few toggle switches and ended up using a marine type ignition switch that had a rubber key cover. Although it was a 3-way switch, I only used two of the prongs. I then mounted it on to a piece of metal that I had cut to size and drilled holes....painted it red too. So far so good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7 installed Marine Key Switch between batteries and reducer.jpg (26.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 12 All Fits.jpg (26.5 KB, 28 views)
loneranger404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
ramblin-wreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the help guys. I looked at gettinga marine ignition switch but it was $30 and still wasn't rated for 48v or enough amps. It seems to be pretty tough finding a 48v switch that will carry enough amps. I also thought about going the relay route but since I keep my cart in tow mode while stored anyway I thought it would be simpler to just add another switch under the seat and turn on both before I ride.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

A little more expensive but works great is an additional 48 volt solenoid wired to key switch so it automatically turns off each time cart isnt in use.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
ramblin-wreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
A little more expensive but works great is an additional 48 volt solenoid wired to key switch so it automatically turns off each time cart isnt in use.
I'm definitely open to this if I can determine the appropriate solenoid to use.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I just purchase the same solenoid used on your cart so it can be used as back up if needed.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

voltage rating of the switch does not have to listed at 48V. normally, you would have to infer the ratings for 48V based on the ratings listed. ie: simple algebra
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
ramblin-wreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
voltage rating of the switch does not have to listed at 48V. normally, you would have to infer the ratings for 48V based on the ratings listed. ie: simple algebra
-sj
Yeah I'll have to break out my old college textbooks to get the formula. I know that dc current is more prone to arcing than ac and you must derate an ac switch to know the dc voltage/amperage equivalent. Since I will be using this frequently I'm afraid an ac switch might fail sooner than I would like.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
Rammer
Getting Wild

Club Car

Whatever you decide to do, will you update us here (pics would be great!) becuase I am going through the same thing right now and would like to know what worked for you. Also, which reducer did you purhcase and where? Thanks.
Rammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car