lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default trailer help?

Hey, guys. I got a trailer frame I want to put an expanded mesh type floor on it and ramp for a cart. The frame is 6x10 ft. made of 6 inch C channel outside and some smaller stuff for crossmembers, spaced 2,3,&4ft apart. (kind of a mess) I got 3/4 inch raised expanded mesh and some 1x2 square tube for extra supports. My question is how far can the mesh span without support (between supports) without much distortion?
Electric cart might wiegh 1000 #s at most divided by 4 wheels - doesn't seem like alot?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #2
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: trailer help?

Its not a lot per wheel BUT over time each little bump on the road and that ammount pressing down will distort the expanded metal. At my job we use it and span less than 12 inches one direction but span about 36 inches the other direction. I suggest going to a place that either makes or sells ready made trailers and look at the distance that is spaned on those. My self I would not use this type of metal for the bed of the trailer. I like to use 3/4 treated plywood. The piece on my trailer is 8 years old and growing. With your bed size it would require two pieces tho. Maybe what you could do is put extra support under the mesh where the tires will be sitting when your cart is loaded so it don't distort the mesh over time. Good Luck.
Rodger's Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Rodger those are two good ideas. Another idea I had ... looking around I see some 2 x 12 wood planks. I was thinking of putting two of these down and the mesh in the middle. Wood just doesn't do real good here because our extreemly dry climate bakes it, like putting it in a kiln and leaving it. So I will look at some other trailers today. Thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
spread footing
Getting Wild

Scotty,

I agree with Rodger, wood is a great choice for long term durability in a trailer. You make a good point though, if you are in a dry climate, the wood will go faster. If you are going to go with 2x12's I would look for OSHA planks, they are a stronger structural member that the regular stuff you would get at home depot. However, I have no idea where you can get them directly (I always steal mine from what ever construction site that I am on). If you use regular lumber, southern yellow pine is as strong as it gets.

Mike
spread footing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

True, Southern Yellow Pine is also as resin saturated as it comes. Which is why it weathers so well. A good choice for softwood floors! Reminds me of my east coast days. Unfortunately, I don't think any of that stuff ever crosses the Missisip. Steel prices have gone thru the roof along with copper, aluminum, and every other metal. Expanded metal was an attempt at keeping the costs down...But looks like I will have to spend more on supports. Ain't that always the way..,Thanks.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #6
spread footing
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
True, Southern Yellow Pine is also as resin saturated as it comes.

Yeah, makes terrible firewood!
spread footing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

The expanded metal is not a good choice if you don't want it to bend. You would have to brace about every 6" and even then it would still bow a litte. I would go with wood, and wood is probly cheaper than steel.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
The expanded metal is not a good choice if you don't want it to bend. You would have to brace about every 6" and even then it would still bow a litte. I would go with wood, and wood is probly cheaper than steel.
Hmmm, What to do?
Old 05-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
4x4 CC
Frog Hunter

Club Car

I used 1 1/2 pannels of that marine ramp stuff for the bed of my trailer. You know the stuff that hurts your feelt to walk on and is really slick when wet. Its galvenuzed steel and is very strong. I have a 6x10 and only supported 3 places across...
4x4 CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You mean like the military ramping?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center