lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2021, 10:58 AM   #351
Don L
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: OBC Bypassing

I have a 2009 Precedent and since bypassing the OBC am having trouble with brake lights working. Have a 2013 Vintage Madjax kit installed which connects to the three wire harness under the floor boards. I believe there is no power. Meter between wires shows no power.

Could bypassing the OBC cause this? There is a Grey wire previously connected to the OBC. Simply cut the grey wire and did not do anything with it as I thought it was going to B- or pack negative. Used the proper bypass procedure mentioned in this post and removed OBC from cart,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg obc.jpg (76.0 KB, 0 views)
Don L is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2021, 02:30 PM   #352
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
I have a 2009 Precedent and since bypassing the OBC am having trouble with brake lights working. Have a 2013 Vintage Madjax kit installed which connects to the three wire harness under the floor boards. I believe there is no power. Meter between wires shows no power.

Could bypassing the OBC cause this? There is a Grey wire previously connected to the OBC. Simply cut the grey wire and did not do anything with it as I thought it was going to B- or pack negative. Used the proper bypass procedure mentioned in this post and removed OBC from cart,
There is a yellow bullet connector that is crimped into the main terminal where the OBC connects to the controller. The negative wire for the light harness is supposed to be plugged into this bullet connector. I'm thinking you removed this yellow bullet connector when you removed the OBC. You'll need to locate the end of your light harness that was originally plugged into this bullet and place it on the main negative battery terminal.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #353
Dave In Naples
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question Re: OBC Bypassing

Newb here so trounce me lightly.

I have a 2005 Precedent IQ 48 V cart. The Club Car charger has a blown transformer and I am not putting another "boat anchor" on my cart to charge it. I bought an aftermarket charger that came with a 12 ga wire to attach from Last battery negative to the black connection on the charger receptacle. Problem! How do I get to the charger receptacle backside? unless there is some quick release or super secret shop trick. It looks like I have a major "tear-down" ahead.

Alternatively, is there a way to splice a wire into the wiring at the OBC?

I could post a picture of what I am up against if needed.

Thanks in advance

Dave
Dave In Naples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:56 AM   #354
Winston Ellis
Gone Wild

Club Car

Can I just hook up my summit 2 directly to the batteries for charging and leave the OBC untouched? 03 48v DS
Winston Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:36 PM   #355
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Ellis View Post
Can I just hook up my summit 2 directly to the batteries for charging and leave the OBC untouched? 03 48v DS
OBC needs to sense charging current. Connect to battery positive (+48v) and B- on the controller (or other convenient B- point on that side of the OBC).

Sent using Tapatalk
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:08 PM   #356
Pillow
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
In a Series cart, the OBC supplies the Negative to the Main Contactor (Solenoid). When you cut all the wires, you removed the Negative permissive. You need to take the Yellow wire that is coming from the small post on your solenoid (and use to go to the OBC) and run it over to B- at the controller. This will complete the circuit and allow your solenoid to close when you have the Key On, Shift Lever in Fwd, and Go Pedal Depressed.
I have a 2002 Club Car DS and this worked like a champ. I will add photos later.

One note: My yellow wiring layout was a bit different than the factory wiring diagram for slot #3 on the Controller. The Solenoid - post with yellow wire went to the Controller #3. I left that wire in place and just added a new yellow wire from Solenoid - to the Controller B-. Worked like a champ!

At the same time I added Allied Lithium 48V batteries, so I'll post in that sub forum how that went.

Thank you!!!
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:08 PM   #357
Winston Ellis
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
I have a 2002 Club Car DS and this worked like a champ. I will add photos later.

One note: My yellow wiring layout was a bit different than the factory wiring diagram for slot #3 on the Controller. The Solenoid - post with yellow wire went to the Controller #3. I left that wire in place and just added a new yellow wire from Solenoid - to the Controller B-. Worked like a champ!

At the same time I added Allied Lithium 48V batteries, so I'll post in that sub forum how that went.

Thank you!!!
that seems like a good idea, then you can still use both right?
Winston Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:18 PM   #358
stb989@gmail.com
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Guys, digging through tons of info here has helped me successfully bypass my OBC a few months ago. I am now getting a new set of batteries and upgrading to 2awg cables for when I eventually upgrade the controller and motor.

My question is, do I need to use the stud method since I have a bypassed OBC? Or can I just go from the pack neg to the controller post B-, or can I go straight to the solenoid?

Thanks a ton!
stb989@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #359
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

You are probably still using your PD or similar, so go to the B- directly from the MPN terminal. No need to incorporate the OBC since you have bypassed it.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:23 PM   #360
bigjohn68
Not Yet Wild

As others have mentioned great amount of information to learn from, thanks! I have done a lot of reading

I just can't get the location down in my head, am I looping the blue and white wires together and the side of the connector going to the plug receptacle or the side of the connector going to the rest of the cart?
bigjohn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car