lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Athello
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default buy a new cart for more $ or an older one cheaper?

I may have the opportunity to pick up a 1997 club car electric. It needs batteries but I'm told it ran fine when it was parked outside, and not touched again, like 4 years ago. So, obviously, I'll need to put new batteries in it. I'm excited because I can probably pick it up extremely cheap, but I'm worried that the sitting outside, in the snow and rain, will make it a rusty mess because it's so old. I'll use it for driving around town, and for driving to my local golf course to play a round. (5 minute drive there and back). I'm not planning on lifting it or anything like that. I will add a rear seat on the back, though, for carting the family to the beach, etc.

I'm just wondering if it's better for me (a first time cart owner) to buy something that might have less of a risk factor. I've seen a few EZ GOs (circa 2005-ish) for sale in my area for a couple grand. If it were you (pretend you're a N00b) what would be a better investment? Basically $500 bucks plus maybe a few hundred purchase price, or a couple grand for a newer cart?

Thanks for the help, guys!
Athello is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: buy a new cart for more $ or an older one cheaper?

First 36 or 48 volt cart? Second if 48 is it a regen (rocker switch)? Thisrd what is your sanity worth? Carts will drive you mad.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Athello
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Dude View Post
First 36 or 48 volt cart? Second if 48 is it a regen (rocker switch)? Thisrd what is your sanity worth? Carts will drive you mad.
I'm not positive if it's 36 or 48. I know the serial starts "A9726" so a 1997, week 26. It has a rocker switch by the legs, so I think that's a regen. Does that mean it has to be a 48V? Is a 36v or 48v more desirable in that year?

Do you mean they will drive me mad because older carts have stuff that break down? I'm familiar with this concept with cars, but I wasn't sure if the same applied to carts. Sounds like you'd opt for the newer version!

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
CRK
Gone Wild

Club Car

My 2 cents.... Im a hands on kinda guy, I like to tinker... My 1st 2 carts, both Club Cars were bought for under 500.00 each. The 83 ran and was being used when I got it.

The 97, had not run in 3 years and was not in running condition when I got it. I was able to get it running in less then 24hrs for free.

For me building, troubleshooting, working on, wrenching, ect. Is a challenge I enjoy.. Most of the time.. For others, their time is worth more and or dont have the "want" too fix something that is broken.

Its your choice which way you want to go. Both have trade offs.

Either way you go, you are going to have to go over each cart with a fine tooth comb to get the best deal.
CRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
crash test dummy

old is better
Old 04-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Athello
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRK View Post
My 2 cents.... Im a hands on kinda guy, I like to tinker... My 1st 2 carts, both Club Cars were bought for under 500.00 each. The 83 ran and was being used when I got it.

The 97, had not run in 3 years and was not in running condition when I got it. I was able to get it running in less then 24hrs for free.

For me building, troubleshooting, working on, wrenching, ect. Is a challenge I enjoy.. Most of the time.. For others, their time is worth more and or dont have the "want" too fix something that is broken.

Its your choice which way you want to go. Both have trade offs.

Either way you go, you are going to have to go over each cart with a fine tooth comb to get the best deal.
Thanks for the input. I just looked over your 97 build thread. I wouldn't pick up this '97 unless it was a couple hundred bucks or under. I'm almost positive I couldn't bring the batteries back, I know they've been sitting at least 4 or 5 years without any movement. The batteries would be the big investment for that cart. The thing that worries me a little bit is that the front end that I can see looking down at it look pretty rusty. Shock, tie rods, etc. I'm just worried that some of these things will nickel and dime me to death and I'd be farther ahead if I just spend a little more at the beginning.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Athello
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
old is better
Any particular reason why?
Old 04-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
crash test dummy

yea i hate the controllers , the obc 's , & other junk the new ones have .. i got an 93 club car v glide real simple to work on ...runs great .. girl friends 2000 ezgo we have to fix ever other month
Old 04-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
crash test dummy

here are the wiring diagrams

Regen 1 diagram 96-99 48v CC

88-03 electric club car wiring diagram with v-glide
Old 04-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
Athello
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Crash Test Dummy! Those diagrams will be helpful! The '97 doesn't have the big, manly F-n-R switch, it has the smaller rocker switch so I assume then it's a 48v regen. i'll have to look more closely at it. It was used for running errands years ago but it's just been sitting around not being used for several years.

Tags
club car, for sale
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car