lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
thelandposse
Not Yet Wild

Default State of Charge % incorrect

Just an FYI for you fellow ICON owners. After my cart was charged overnight I went to drive it this afternoon and noticed the SOC % was reading 71%. I talked to the dealer and they said that when you charge an ICON you need to switching the power switch (the one under the seat) to the "OFF" position and then recharge. The switch should be in this position every time the cart is charged. Not sure if any of you all have had this issue before but this has happened twice to me in the past five days.
thelandposse is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2020, 11:12 PM   #2
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: State of Charge % incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelandposse View Post
Just an FYI for you fellow ICON owners. After my cart was charged overnight I went to drive it this afternoon and noticed the SOC % was reading 71%. I talked to the dealer and they said that when you charge an ICON you need to switching the power switch (the one under the seat) to the "OFF" position and then recharge. The switch should be in this position every time the cart is charged. Not sure if any of you all have had this issue before but this has happened twice to me in the past five days.
My parents' dealer in FL said the same thing to them. I never bother on either of my carts and I don't have that issue.

The charger has firmware on it and I think the real issue is depending on when/where you got your cart, it may not be up to date. This is my hunch, so I could be wrong, but I have some overlapping expertise.

I planned on next week reaching out to my dealer and having him speak directly to ICON to see if I can get the latest charger firmware or at least better understanding how it works.

I need to watch my ODO and drain my battery first and see what range I'm getting, then I was going to do some math and talk to my EE friend who's a specific expert on BMS/EV systems and see what he thinks.

All that said, if you are having the issue I'd still do what they recommend because that's probably a work-around, but not an actual fix to the real problem.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:13 PM   #3
thelandposse
Not Yet Wild

I'm taking my cart to the dealer sometime this week to have a flow-rite watering system installed so I will talk to the service guys about a firmware update and report back here. I actually live about two miles from my dealer so it's not a hassle to bug them about these things. I think they only began selling ICONs just a short time ago so I'm sure they are figuring things out as they go.
thelandposse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

if it helps any, i tried the toggle off bit and didnt make a hill of beans difference.

What I notice is that if it sits for a bit then that's when the inaccuracy comes into play.

If Im out and about, come back and plug it in to charge for the rest of the day and overnight then it's off. If I do that but then circle back in the morning, unplug, leave out for 30 seconds and plug back in then it will be at 100% when I eventually take it out (usually later that morning)
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #5
JRC 500
Not Yet Wild

I just got my icon about 4 weeks ago, same problem.
After being charged over night it will show about the same voltage I started with before being plugged in. I unplug it and drive it up and down the driveway and plug it back in for about 30 min. It will then show a full charge. Not sure why , it might be like control alt delete.
Hope it helps
JRC 500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
ATrain
Gone Wild

I don't think we have anything conclusive yet and I think there are many factors that could be giving us all different results we should consider.

Many of us have different chargers, different batteries, and different configurations (6x8v, 8x6v, AGM, Lithium, etc).

If we want to figure this out, we should list our chargers, battery info, and climate to collect some data. I'm in SoCal and I notice when it's really cold in the mornings, I get a little more sporadic results.

Here is a screenshot of the "charger programmer" software ICON uses to write firmware to the charger.

I thought all of us had the same charger, but I've since learned you can get "upgraded" ones, ones that are Lithium specific, etc.

From the charger programmer software, you can see different batteries need different profiles programed to the charger.

That information alone is essentially proof that we can't possibly know for sure anything regarding the switch yet.

I think this is a big unknown that we need to fill in some blanks for.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Then there is me with the original Delta Q onboard charger removed
to accommodate my 8 x 6 volt crown agm batteries...and to add another
variable I use the Eagle Pro 4818i off board charger made by Dual Pro.

Thankfully have never encountered the problems with inaccurate soc readings
or having my battery pack charge fully.

Also thankful to have never had to toggle the power switch in order to obtain a full charge.

The one thing though, is that my dealer did install ScottyB's voltmeter
to my dash, comparing the read out between ScottyB's and the volt meter
on the cart's instrument panel is that the cart's volt meter always reads
.7 volt higher than ScottyB's . ScottyB's volt meter is reading directly off
of the battery pack...

Never have used the cart's original meter for reference....

How ICON is taking the volt meter reading is unknown to me.
It would be good to know along for their rationale for choosing the route
they have on this.

Atrain if you could this find out it would be appreciated..

Thanks

Happy cartin'
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #8
swantom
Not Yet Wild

We are having the same issue with our i40 we purchased 6 weeks ago. Dealer gave us a "cheat code" that was supposed to fix it but it was only temporary. They have been telling me they are trying to get a fix from Icon in Tampa. Following this thread to see if anyone has updates. We love this cart but the battery % problem is a pain in the ***.
swantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #9
CSS899
Not Yet Wild

We had a similar problem. Dealer reprogrammed the charger software and so far so good.
CSS899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #10
CSS899
Not Yet Wild

My neighbor just got his I40 delivered. Spoke to the guy delivering and asked about the SOC issue. He said while the cart is charging (power sw on) turn the key on and then off. Said that will reset the charger. Should fix the issue. Might give that a try.
CSS899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon