lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
vehder
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default HD 1979-1981 MG IV slows down after a few minutes and stops after 30

I've been restoring an electric HD 1979-1981 MG IV. I've got it running ok but it still has couple issues...
The first is that it starts off great and seems to be running full speed but then after a couple blocks it slows down. I've read that one bad battery in the bunch could cause something like this but the batteries, while older, all read fine with a voltage meter.
The other issue is after about 20-30 of continuous driving when you come to a stop suddenly it won't immediately go. Wait 30 seconds and its fine... until the next stop. It will continue to do this until it has some time to rest or cool.(resister coil is warm but not RED hot as I witnessed way back when I did some testing with 12volt batteries)
Are these two issues related?
Should I be looking more at the batteries?
Could this be a problem of an aged and rusty resister coil?
Possibly a intermittent problem with the high speed plunger Micro Switch?
THX
vehder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2020, 08:38 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: HD 1979-1981 MG IV slows down after a few minutes and stops after 30

Definitely start with the batteries. Check the voltage while under a load (such as driving up a hill). What does it drop to?
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson