lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #51
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Fuel Issue...

Use alligator clips or a jumper wire attached to the DF post (the one with the small yellow wire) on the starter generator to jumper the DF post to ground. Run the engine and see if the charging voltage goes up. It should run up over 16v at full throttle.

If it does that, then its very likely you just need a new voltage regulator. Its in the electronics box, pretty easy to replace. Make sure it has a good connection to ground.
If the regulator has a poor ground, it will not work properly and can either cause high charging voltage, or no charging at all.

Governor vs rev limiter.
Governor regulates the cart speed, this is all mechanical and consists of the throttle cable from the black electrics box, to the governor arm on the trans, and then the governor cable which opens the throttle lever on the carb. The governor mechanism in the trans alters the throttle when the reaches a certain speed. The zip tie trick helps to pull harder against the governor arm to basically override the governor and make the cart go faster.

Rev limiter is the black box on the front of the motor just above the oil drain plug, next to the oil filter. The rev limiter grounds the ignition coil when a certain engine RPM is reached and kills spark for several seconds until the engine speed comes back down below the cut-off point. This fails often and kills spark entirely so the engine wont run, or runs very poorly. This is quite often just disconnected or removed, since a new rev limiter module is around $150. It's a box smaller than a credit card with two wires sticking out of it.

If the cart feels "slow" the governor is usually what needs to be adjusted. A cart with a bad rev limiter is often un-drivable.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2021, 05:20 AM   #52
rschap1
Not Yet Wild

BIG THANKS for all that ! ! !
Printing it out and taking it to the cart when I get a chance to check these things.

Appreciate the help.
Know lots more now than I did before
:)
rschap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 05:58 PM   #53
schreib69
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I can't help but chime in. Read your ENTIRE thread. Suggest you listen closely to FAIRTAXME, for one.

I had the same IDENTICAL problem you have been having for the last few weeks and after reading YOUR thread found advice there(FAIRTAXME!) that solved it plus my own intution.

Here is the deal: i replaced ALL hoses connected to the gas tank fuel pump, Crankcase, and carb. I spend $15 on a NEW fuel pump from China via Amazon and received the NEXT day. That did NOT solve the problem but it pumped like crazy. Of course, I replaced the fuel filter and check the inlet tube in the tank-- again, NOT the problem.

The problem was. . . wait for it!. . . THE CARBURETOR! PULL that thing and clean it.

Here is my story to Fairtax me:

Did not get your info on the fuel pump in time and ordered what appears to be a direct Chinese replacement, cast-in arrows and all, to make it a Perfect "fake"-- if so. It appears Mikuni must have licensed them. It is TOO perfect. It worked, but did not solve the problem. Before digging into the carb I pulled off the carb feed from the pump and ran in maint. mode and it pumped just great. PROOF of no fuel supply issue.

I removed the carb, soaked in Amine-based carb cleaner, piano-wired all the jets, flushed finally with Gumout carb cleaner and all is fine now. SO. The carb was the problem all along. I found that the float pin and the float were bound up so the float could not rotate about the pin. This agrees with the symptoms: weeks ago it would just die intermittently until finally it refused to go past 200 yds. Slowly, the pin was binding up the float until if froze. Gas was fine and clean but who knows how the jamoke who owned it last kept his fuel clean. . . or NOT?!
schreib69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:29 AM   #54
rschap1
Not Yet Wild

I have had the carb off.
Dropped float and bowl.
Did not soak but used a couple cans of aerosol cleaner through every hole, port, and passage that I could see and access.
Float seemed dry and needle and seat seemed to do their job OK.
Possible there could still be something clogged, but it did run quite a bit better for a short while after I did that.
Kind of like everything I have done.
Seems OK for a few miles, better than before whatever I do.
Few miles, couple days, few trips all is good...
then slowly degrades again until not being able to get home ...

Appreciate the tip(s).
I will keep it in mind that a more thorough carb cleaning could be needed !!
Old 08-05-2021, 06:12 AM   #55
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Spray on carb cleaner will not dissolve hardened or dried additive varnish, you need to get one of the gallon cans from any of the brand auto parts stores (kinda pricey at @ $30) teardown the whole carb completely apart and do at least a two hour soak.
Then rinse with water and blow out with compressed air.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:38 AM   #56
rschap1
Not Yet Wild

Not sure how soon I will be able to do that.
Might be a project for winter time.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:12 AM   #57
rschap1
Not Yet Wild

I did get to check the voltage regulator this weekend.
Looks like that needs replacing.
Grounded the post on top of the starter and put multi meter on battery posts.
Revved engine and saw nearly 18 volts.
Will start digging deeper, open the "box" for the first time, and do some shopping for that.
Thanks for the test procedure !
Then back to the carb and/or fuel system I guess.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #58
rschap1
Not Yet Wild

I am guessing that I mis read the info on the voltage regulator.
I thought it was needing to be replaced if I grounded the yellow post on the starter and saw 16+ volts.
I put a new one in yesterday and it acted the same as before, rev engine and see nearly 18 volts when wound up.
I was thinking that was telling me regulator was bad and allowing overcharging.
So I guess I replaced it even though it wasn't needed.
I did see inside the "box" for the first time.
Got to see the rev limiter and it's micro switches in there, starter relay, etc...
Noticed the "breather" hose from the top of the engine was cut off.
Looked like it was supposed to connect to intake/carb right near the rubber hose from air cleaner box.
Felt a lot of "blow by" when running.
Guessing there may be a good amount of wear and tear on this motor.
I ran new hose wondering if anything would be different since so much pressure coming out top of motor.
About the same as before.
Maybe dig into tearing carb down, cleaning, etc if time allows soon.
OR
Still thinking I better hit the neighbor or have another "professional" take a ppek.
THANKS again for everyone's help and advice.
Old 08-24-2023, 05:00 AM   #59
rschap1
Not Yet Wild

Well....still troubles.
Daughter got stranded a few houses up the street yesterday just trying to go around the block.
Been trying to search and find any solutions I can.
Found a few things to check over better.
Vent tube off top of carb. I replaced it, but may have a "kink" or pinch.
Read that can cause trouble.
Going to look at the fuel pump's vacuum line.
Read some get oil in them and interferes with pump function. replaced that hose earlier too.
Started having ideas of replacing pump with an electric.
Still seems like it starves for gas when it dies.
Fuel filters look empty when it won't run, then once it gets going they are full.
See low pressure pumps and sure seems like an easy solution.
Just started wondering how/where to draw power so only running when motor does.
Read some about the starter post so pump runs when gas pedal is pressed.
Even after searching everything on the internet (Google) and trying a bunch of searches here, only see a few older threads where folks were asking the same as I am.
Do see where it is mentioned that once engine is worn, seals bad, electric pump gets though of as a "band aid".
Read concerns of over powering the float, worries of flooding, even fire.
Any thoughts???

TIA
Old 08-28-2023, 04:50 PM   #60
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

Quote:
Going to look at the fuel pump's vacuum line.
It's not a vacuum line, it's a pulse line.
And yes, if there is oil accumulation in the line, the pump will not work properly.
The pulse line from the pump to the engine port must be all down hill. If there is a low spot it the line, oil may accumulate and cause problems.

It is also important as to what kind of hose you use between the pulse port and the pump. The thin plastic hose will not work. After it gets hot,the plastic hose will soften and absorde the pulses from the engine. You need to use a standard fuel line hose.

Quote:
Read some get oil in them and interferes with pump function. replaced that hose earlier too.
See above.

Richard
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car