lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
Jason7mm
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 blowing fuses

working on a G1 that will start and run, if you let it shut off and try stepping on the gas pedal to start it again... nothing. the 10A fuse by the regulator and solenoids is blown. replace the fuse and the cart sill start and run until you let it shut off and the process starts all over again.

any help would be much appreciated! if i can figure this out, i'll be doing a BBQ on the pipe and should be G2G
Jason7mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 blowing fuses

Welcome to BGW!
Is it the positive, or negative fuse? The positive fuse will have red/white wires, the negative fuse will have black wires. Also, are there any accessories that have been added such as lights, or a radio/amp, anything? These should all be grounded directly to the battery, not the frame.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Jason7mm
Not Yet Wild

it's the black wire fuse located near the rear of the right fender... this cart is probably 100% stock minus me turning the governor screw all the way in.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Welcome to BGW as well! Might check the 4 leads coming out of the engine (on passanger side), if the they chaffed on the motor engine bracket, it can blow the negative fuse. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Wiring is a weak point on old yamaha. Check all the wires, note all the negatives are wired. You have to use the battery for any accessory or put a ground cable frame to battery for them, or it blows fuses. Check all connections.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Jason7mm
Not Yet Wild

thanks guys,

i'll check the wires coming from the engine as well i'll clean all connections and see what happens
Old 06-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have seen this before...cant remember what it is :(.. For testing, you could change the ends out for spade connectors and use a automatic resetting circuit breaker. Less buying & changing fuses while testing. If you crank it but dont start it, does it still blow when you let the pedal up? First thing i do when dealing with old gas cart electrical problems is take all 4 inspection/service plugs out of the starter/generator and blow all the dust out with compressed air (inspect the brushes too and be sure to stand up-wind, its nasty to breathe). Brushes should be taller the steel sleave that they ride in. If that has no effect, i would start by unhooking the voltage regulator, then try it. Some sort of positive power is feeding through the "ground path". Starter generator and voltage regulator are my first thoughts.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

These are the ones i commonly use, they plug into regular "blade type" atc fuse holders. Available in many sizes at auto parts stores.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp_ucbbreaker_med.jpg.cf470700244.jpg (17.8 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7mm View Post
working on a G1 that will start and run, if you let it shut off and try stepping on the gas pedal to start it again... nothing. the 10A fuse by the regulator and solenoids is blown. replace the fuse and the cart sill start and run until you let it shut off and the process starts all over again.

any help would be much appreciated! if i can figure this out, i'll be doing a BBQ on the pipe and should be G2G
the easiest way to trace a short is with an ohmmeter. Start with the neg bat lead disconnected. attach one ohmmeter lead to the neg cable. take readings in the circuit with the other lead. use ohms law to determine what is a possible short. or what is drawing to much current. V over R = I. Much easier than blowing fuses or melting wires. Follow the circuit and disconnect things to find the fault.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
Jason7mm
Not Yet Wild

well was a crazy summer and finally got back to this thing a couple weeks ago... cgtech wins!!!

cleaned out the starter/generator and no more blown fuse! man that was dirty!!!

thanks to all who replied
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha