lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Crash39
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 Blowing fuses

Hey Everyone,

I have a 1998 G16. Ive had it for two weeks now and and I started having problems during the second week. First I may have a either a battery issue to where its bad and not holding a charge or the starter generator is not recharging the battery. That one Im not as worried about. My BIG issue is I keep blowing my 10 amp fuse and I dont know why. As soon as I hit the gas it blows the fuse. I have no clue when it comes to wiring so when it comes to describing it im a major rookie. I will include a picture so someone can see what im talking about. In the picture the fuse block is just above my finger. Any help that someone can offer would be great

Thanks
Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blown Fuse.jpg (188.1 KB, 0 views)
Crash39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 Blowing fuses

Craig, you have no doubt added some accessory, lights, radio? and grounded it to the frame. Yamis dont like frame grounds! Ground it to the battery (-) post and your fuse will stop blowing.

Good luck
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Crash39
Not Yet Wild

Essness, Thanks fr the info. I have added a radio and lights. But both were connected to the negative terminal. At first I thought it was the radio so I dissconnected that. I havent tried the lights yet. I guess I will try that next. If its not the lights where should I start looking.

Thanks again
Crash39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

It has to be something you added to the cart if it was not blowing fuses prior to the add ons.
I know that some lights will ground through the housing. If that's the case with yours and you want to keep those lights you can bump the 10 amp fuse up to a 20-25 amp and that will keep you running.
I prefer to stick with the original engineering, but the larger fuse will take care of ya.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash39 View Post
Hey Everyone,

I have a 1998 G16. Ive had it for two weeks now and and I started having problems during the second week. First I may have a either a battery issue to where its bad and not holding a charge or the starter generator is not recharging the battery. That one Im not as worried about. My BIG issue is I keep blowing my 10 amp fuse and I dont know why. As soon as I hit the gas it blows the fuse. I have no clue when it comes to wiring so when it comes to describing it im a major rookie. I will include a picture so someone can see what im talking about. In the picture the fuse block is just above my finger. Any help that someone can offer would be great

Thanks
Craig
Short circuits and over loads blow fuses. If you have little knowlege of electricity then I sugest you go back to basics. Ohms law for a start. Resistance divided into voltage equals current (amps). If you know what an ohmeter is then that is what you will need to trace your problem. Measure the resistance of the blown fuse circuit. Measure the resistance of the soloenoid coils. Divide your readings into the voltage (12volt). Are the amps higher than the fuse rating? It sounds like a shorted microswitch or bad solenoid. Get the correct electrical diagram for your cart. If you don't know how to read one your done. Get professional help.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Short circuits and over loads blow fuses. If you have little knowlege of electricity then I sugest you go back to basics. Ohms law for a start. Resistance divided into voltage equals current (amps). If you know what an ohmeter is then that is what you will need to trace your problem. Measure the resistance of the blown fuse circuit. Measure the resistance of the soloenoid coils. Divide your readings into the voltage (12volt). Are the amps higher than the fuse rating? It sounds like a shorted microswitch or bad solenoid. Get the correct electrical diagram for your cart. If you don't know how to read one your done. Get professional help.
Or, you could just find the errant ground and isolate it as above.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Welcome to the forum Crash.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha