lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Default Caps During Battery Charging

Caps on or off?

I've searched plenty looking for an answer but no conclusion can be made. I have read various mfg sites and have read where some tell to put caps on after charging, but never mention to remove caps before charging, odd!

Regards
Gonk
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Caps During Battery Charging

Take a close look at your battery caps, I think all wet call battery caps are vented. This eliminates the need to remove them, you do need to charge in a well ventilated area.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

I may have a couple defective batteries. It appears there is a small amount of weeping at a few locations where the battery case halves are seemed together. I only notice a couple small drops of fluid when the batteries are gassing. Regardless of the vent caps, I shouldn't see the fluid I'm referring to. I'm doing my charge now with the caps loose to see what happens.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I guess the vents could get plugged?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If the vents got plugged somehow, the gases pressure should have just blown them off ?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonkulor View Post
I may have a couple defective batteries. It appears there is a small amount of weeping at a few locations where the battery case halves are seemed together. I only notice a couple small drops of fluid when the batteries are gassing. Regardless of the vent caps, I shouldn't see the fluid I'm referring to. I'm doing my charge now with the caps loose to see what happens.
If the batteries are weeping at the seams, their gonkulator valves are binding and they need new muffler bearings or spitzen und sparken may occur.

The moisture might be condensation forming in the seams rather than actually leaking, but battery cases can be sealed with epoxy.

When the hydrogen bubbles raise to the surface and burst, minute quantities of electrolyte is atomized and without caps, an ejecta blanket will form around the cell opening.
With vented caps in place, much of the atomized electrolyte is condensed within the cap itself and the ejecta blanket adjacent to the vent hole is less.

Since open battery cell are debris magnets, the only times I would consider removing vented caps would be when initially charging and breaking in a new set of batteries when the gassing phases is prolonged, or charger after the batteries have been deeply discharged.

If the caps become unseated or pop off during charging, the vent is plugged, but if they stay in place, they are performing as they were designed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO