lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
c21tupper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Unhappy 1996 gas EZGO Workhorse Model GXT804D - HELP !

Hello everyone !! I'm still patiently waiting for someone to help us get this cart to start. I've been reading lots of posts about starting and wiring and nothing fits our problem. It is our first cart and we plan on using it for maintenance on the property.

Some background and photos... bought this cart for $650 a month ago.. it ran fine, sounded good when we test drove and bought it. Had to leave it sit for 3 days til we could pick it up. By then the battery died and it wouldn't start. Put a charger on it and it started up, ran long enough to get loaded.

Got it home and it started and got it unloaded, then the engine just slowly died again. Thought it was just the battery being low...re-charged it and the battery is ok, but it wouldn't start. After checking things out, replaced the fuse box and fuses... still wouldn't start; replaced the very dirty air filter; still no start; next replaced the voltage regulator; still nothing and then the solenoid and still nothing !! We're so frustrated.....

I've ordered the service manual and we're waiting on it. I was able to get a wiring diagram faxed to us and posted it in the other thread. Conrad is still puzzled about where that loose white wire should be attached. Any ideas ? Could not identify it in the diagram either.

Here is our cart: Ser #A37831, Model GXT804D, Code G3096. Was told by EZGO that the 96 in the code means it is a 1996 model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08172011 Stumpy 008.jpg (162.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 08172011 Stumpy 010.jpg (211.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg ezgoWire 003.jpg (183.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg ezgoWire 002.jpg (256.8 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by c21tupper; 09-01-2011 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: correct spelling
c21tupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1996 gas EZGO Workhorse Model GXT804D - HELP !

My real field is the 2PG engine but I do know engines in general so I am happy to jump in. If, however, anyone else wants to leap in as well you won't hurt my feelings.

So the first thing we need to do is establish if the engine is turning over when you press the throttle and I suspect it is. If so then we need to establish if we have a fuel problem or a electrical problem. So remove a spark plug and lie it on the exhaust manifold. Now try to start the engine while you or someone looks at the plug. Does it have a nice fat blue spark?.

Answer that question and we have nearly fixed the engine. It really is only nuts and bolts and volts and compression.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Box; 09-01-2011 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: dyslexic fingers
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Not start or not turning over at all?
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
c21tupper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Dave... the engine is dead! Nothing happens when we step on the pedal! Have an instruction sheet on testing the circuits. Have power to the micro switch, to the ignition switch, but when tested the solinoid, nothing, jumped the two top poles, and the engine turned over. The directions said that if it turned over, the solinoid was bad. Have a new voltage regulator, a new solinoid. 14 volt, and nothing happens. Will not worry anymore about the white wire from the engine that is half burned, as I agree that it is probably for an oil sender guage, and that it was laying up against the starter, generator to get brown like that. The wiring diagram that Cindy got yesterday, helps a LOT but now makes me think that the IGNITOR is bad. The scary part is that the tail lights have been disconnected, there is a yellow wire near the solinoid that has been strapped to the harness with a wire tie, that looks like it could fit nicely to the positive side of the solinoid, and that the horn wires had been totally worn through at the horn as if they had got is stuck in the mud and shorted it out. Have repaired all of that and put a new fuse box with blade type fuses, but may have put the wrong wires to power. The fuse block was so corroded and green when we got it that one of the fuses actually feel off and the fuse holders disitegrated. That is why I put a new fuse block on it. Should the orange/white wire from the ignitor go to the power side of the fuse block?

CONRAD
Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
c21tupper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Its not turning over at all....

Also, when we replaced the fuses and box, we didn't take a picture of it first or make notes as to what should be plugged into it. We know one wire is for the headlights, but we're hesitant to plug anything else into it for fear it may short out something or should not be plugged into it. So, can you tell us what wires need to be plugged into the fuse box ?

Thank you !!
Conrad & Cindy

PS... we need ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET !!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Check the pedal micro. You say it has power but does it have power coming OUT of it when you push the pedal. Sounds like you have a LOT of problems. You need to get a manual.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #7
c21tupper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes... checked the pedal micro and it has power as well as the ignition switch. That's why I replaced the voltage regulator and the solenoid and still... NOTHING !! The fuse between the ignition switch and the solenoid is good.. has continuity.

And.. yes... we ordered a service manual.. should get it in 3-5 days. Just want to get this cart running !!

Thank you for your response !!!

Conrad & Cindy
Old 09-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Have you checked the solenoid activation circuit? It takes a + and - to the small terminals to activate it. Which are you missing?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
stretchman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You need to check voltage @ the small terminals on the soleniod it should not be much less than batt voltage when you step on the pedal; key on. Also check the ground circut, follow the cable from the battery - neg. to the frame/engine, make sure they are all clean and not rusted. Try putting your volt meter pos to the pos. post on the battery, then put your volt meter neg. on the neg side of the soleniod (small terminals), you should have the same volts as battery, then step on the pedal and see if voltage drops off, if it does then you have a bad ground circut
stretchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
c21tupper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Re: 1996 gas EZGO Workhorse Model GXT804D - HELP !

Thank you all for your input and suggestions on how to get this cart going !!

After more testing, checking, double-checking etc. Conrad discovered last night that the micro switch for the gas pedal wasn't releasing the way it should. Long story short, he by-passed it and now the cart starts just fine !!! YEAH !!

We have the service repair manual on order and I'm sure it will help direct us on other maintenance it desperately needs. The next thing he said he needs to do is change the oil.. it's a wonder the cart is going.. the oil is really, really dirty.

It seems to Conrad that the people who had this before us just ran it to death... almost... and when something wasn't working quite right the other owner disconnected or by-passed it somehow.

So, now I need to order a new micro switch #WZ-2RW8225522T-S. I just looked at shopezgo.com and its not there. Any other suggestions ??

Again, thanks to all who responded to our plea for help !!

Cindy & Conrad

PS: I'm sure we will be reading more here in this forum... quite a good one I think !!
And, when this manual arrives, if anyone needs anything from it, I will be more than happy to scan pages and post here.

Tags
help wanted, model, starting problem, workhorse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO